Global Gender Equality and Social Inclusion Advisor
Summary of Position:
IREX seeks qualified Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI) Advisor candidates for the global, cross-sectoral USAID Youth Excel (YE) Activity. This project will design and apply an approach to using implementation research to strengthen cross-sectoral positive youth development programming, help youth-led and youth-serving organizations use implementation research, and synthesize and promote findings broadly. The Gender and Social Inclusion Advisor will ensure that the considerations of girls, young women and marginalized groups are mainstreamed throughout program activities and will foster youth-led program planning through a variety of assessments, outreach to targeted groups, and adaptive methodologies. The GESI Advisor will be based in Guatemala or El Salvador.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Candidates must be able to demonstrate the ability to legally work in Guatemala or El Salvador.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- In close collaboration with the Capacity Building team, integrate gender and inclusion requirements into bidding, procurement, grantmaking, and partner orientation materials.
- In coordination with expert partners, co-develop training materials, and train project staff in positive masculinities and gender policies and procedures that are related to regional gender issues; ensure that gender and social equity issues are addressed in all training modules developed for facilitators.
- Train program staff and partners (as needed) on inclusion best practices, gender audits, do no more harm and do no digital harm principles, safeguarding and prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse (SEA) of underage and vulnerable participants, as needed.
- Advise partners on inclusivity and equity, including promotion of appropriate disaggregated data collection and decision-making to promote gender equality and equity.
- Collaborate with Global Implementation Research (IR) Technical Advisor to create gender-responsive IR approaches and tools that are rigorous and accessible to youth researchers and practitioners; consider youth developmental stages; include training in gender-responsive research, PYD programming, trauma awareness/self-care, and youth leadership; and include a quality assurance rubric.
- Develop, implement, and monitor a gender and inclusion integration strategy in YE tools and approaches to ensure diverse youth benefit equitably from the program and to reduce identity-based disparities experienced by youth.
- Contribute to the distribution of best practices and lessons learned in gender mainstreaming, equality, and female empowerment among program participants, partners, and stakeholders.
- Monitor equity throughout program activities using tools; make recommendations for how partners and program staff can move forward to improve gender equity and gender responsive programming.
- Coordinate with Communications team to create GESI-sensitive outcome-focused materials by and for youth to publicize results and amplify the voice of girls, women and marginalized youth.
- In close collaboration with the program team, craft opportunities for meaningful inclusion of diverse youth in training design, facilitation, participation and evaluation.
- Design and conduct gender and inclusion analysis at the project level and for each geography to identify identity-based opportunities and constraints facing diverse youth; and additional research focusing on specific gender and inclusion issues as needed.
- In close collaboration with the MEL team, apply inclusion best practices to the design of data collection instruments, data analysis, program learning initiatives, and other MEL activities to track identity-based differences in participation and outcomes as well as the impact of program activities on progress toward gender equality and social inclusion.
- Contribute to program reporting and budget monitoring related to gender and inclusion investments.
- Oversee accountability mechanisms for meaningful inclusion across program component areas.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree (master’s preferred) in gender studies, sociology, human rights, public policy, or a related field of social studies.
- At least five (5) years of experience working on gender and/or social inclusion programs, with a preference for experience in gender/inclusion for youth programs, building gender/inclusion capacity for local organizations, and/or inclusive applied research.
- Understanding of the local context for gender-related issues and female empowerment.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in gender equality and participatory development practices.
- Ability to conduct high-level, timely gender and inclusion analyses.
- Experience integrating GESI into professional development curricula, materials and activities.
- Experience working with local counterparts on capacity building activities that integrate social and gender concerns desired; experience with youth-led or youth-serving organizations preferred.
- Experience in the monitoring and evaluation of GESI-sensitive projects.
- Preferred experience working with USAID-funded programs in multiple contexts.
- Excellent facilitation skills.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills required.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to interact and cooperate effectively with a large and multicultural team.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multitask.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Spanish; other languages a plus.
Link to application: https://jobs.jobvite.com/irex/job/oxcldfw1