Over the past fifteen years, the Government of Tajikistan has undertaken a number of legislative and policy reforms to create the framework for an effective justice system. The Project aims to strengthen the capacity of state bodies and the justice sector to better provide access to justice and uphold the rule of law in compliance with international commitments, and also to protect the rights of vulnerable people through establishing sustainable mechanisms for capacity development and oversight of justice and penitentiary institutions and by ensuring greater accountability and transparency.
Moreover, UNDP jointly with other UN agencies with the financial support of the European Union is implementing the Spotlight Initiative, a multi-year programme aimed at addressing all forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG), and harmful practices.
The Spotlight Initiative aims to support transformative change on the ground to end violence against women and girls, in numerous countries globally, including Tajikistan. Spotlight initiative Programme in Tajikistan will focus on sexual and gender-based violence in Asia.
PROJECTS OBJECTIVE: Contribute to better access to justice for marginalized and vulnerable persons through (a) establishing mechanisms for dialogue between the government and civil society to address key challenges in access to justice and (b) enhancing the capacities of the government and civil society in advancing rule of law reforms.
The vision of the Strengthening rule of law and human rights to empower people in Tajikistan Project is to create a justice system whereby all people in Tajikistan can access justice, by having an affordable, state run system of free legal aid, in a country where people, in particular the vulnerable and marginalised – particularly women– know their rights and duties in respect of free legal aid and accessing justice.
The Spotlight Tajikistan Project aims to effect change at the individual and inter-personal level, while shifting institutional practices and social norms which are more gender equitable and supporting legal and policy improvements and enforcement of existing legislation on VAWG, in line with international human rights standards, accelerating Tajikistan’s achievement of SDG 5 on Gender Equality and the broader 2030 Agenda.
Both Propects fall under UNDP Rule of Law Initiatives.
The UNDP Rule of Law Project and Spotlight Initatives consist of the following components:
1. Support in establishment of a Rule of Law Policy Dialogue platform, including in conduction of the annual Rule of Law Forums;
2. Capacity development of duty bearers including the Ombudsman’s office, bailiffs, judges, Ministry of Justice and Supreme Court staff etc.;
3. Support in provision of the free legal aid to poor and marginalized people through established State Agency Legal Aid Centre under the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Tajikistan;
4. Increasing legal literacy and public awareness of legal rights, and the ability of target groups to defend their rights;
5. Support Tajikistan in enhancing capacities of duty bearers in provision of quality and human centered services to the vicitoims of SGBV;
6. Support Tajikistan in bringing its legislation in compliance with internation standards on fighting SGBV and support to SGBV victims.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key function:
- Provision of support to projects implementation, guaranteeing quality, efficiency and effectiveness;
- Provision of support in planning, monitoring and evaluation activities of the project, in articulation with the Project Manager;
- Assist in fanancial management;
- Assist and support in finalizing procurement cases.
1. Providing support to projects implementation, guaranteeing quality, efficiency and effectiveness:
- Provides administrative and opperation support on implementation of project;
- Drafting ToRs, correspondence and reports covering project issues; compiling statistical data; following up and responding to queries;
- Follow-up, on a daily basis, with project partners and donors, to guarantee smooth implementation of administrative and operational activities of the project;
- Undertake other project related transactions, in line with project assistant profile;
- Maintain an appropriate filing system documenting the implementation of approved work-plan activities;
- Provide logistical support for workshops and other meetings as tasked by the project manager;
- Process project-related travel arrangements;
- Support the development of meeting agendas, LoPs, other protocol procedures;
- Provide occasional written translation or interpretation to assist project personnel and consultants;
- Support with preparation of regular progress reports in line with reporting schedule, as well as any other reports requested by UNDP, donor, Government and or other stakeholders;
2. Supporting planning, monitoring and evaluation activities of the project, under guidance of the Project Manager.
- Actively participate in the preparation of annual work plans, project operations as well;
- Support the organization of project reviews/tripartite meetings;
- Support the timely preparation and submission of progress reports, donor reports, project reviews, financial reports, audit reports and any other required project reports;
- In accordance with the Work Plan arrange for procurement of equipment, supplies and services;
- Ensure that contractual processes follow the stipulated UNDP procedures;
- Maintain records over project equipment inventory.
- Demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling UN values and ethical standards;
- Demonstrates professional competence and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Advocacy and Communication
- Good communication skills, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different audiences;
- Ability to interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team, as a team member, to build trust, and to manage in a deliberate, transparent and predictable way;
Management and leadership:
- Ability to identify priority activities and tasks and allocate appropriate time and resources for effective and efficient work completion;
- Ability to monitor progress against milestones and deadlines;
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
Knowledge Management and learning
- Promotes knowledge management in UNDP and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal examples.
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development on one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in law, social sciences, international relationship, public administration or a related field.
- At least 2 years’ of relevant experience in administration or programme support service is required at the national or international level.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in Tajik, Russian and English both oral and written is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.