Re-Advertisement - International Gender Based Violence (GBV) Specialist, Damascus, Syria
The GBV specialist is located in Syria country offices. Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Representative, the GBV specialist provides leadership and advice to the Country Office (CO) on all aspects related to planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of CO GBV activities. The GBV specialist supervises CO staff under the GBV Unit.
How the Incumbent can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in Programme results.
The GBV specialist ensures timely effective and efficient implementation of GBV programming, manages the GBV Programme Unit, and actively participates and ensures UNFPA representation in sector working groups. He/She will develop strong, collaborative relationships across the organization to ensure an integrated response, and with external partners. The GBV Specialist will ensure the application of effective Programme planning, monitoring and evaluation principles; identify bottlenecks in GBV prevention and response across UNFPA response in the Country; devise strategies to address them and ensure application of a resilience approach in the humanitarian response while addressing the humanitarian-development nexus programmatic implementation; provide leadership to ensure that technical knowledge is updated and disseminated for effective implementation.
Advanced degree with specialization in areas such as social work, public health, gender, law/human rights, international relations, and/or other related social science disciplines.
Experience and Knowledge:
• 7 years of Proven specialized experience in GBV prevention and response, and experience in this field at international level in a humanitarian context
• Demonstrated leadership and management experience within a multinational and multicultural environment.
• Technical knowledge of current developments on GBV related morbidity and mortality reduction.
• Ability to develop and coordinate GBV programs that target refugees, IDPs/returnees and their host communities.
• Strong expertise in capacity development
• Knowledge and understanding of the GBV in low resource settings, particularly in the areas of GBV.
• Exceptional interpersonal, communication, networking, and negotiation skills.
• Ability to express clearly and concisely ideas and concepts in written and oral forms.
• Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS word, Excel, etc), experience in handling of web based management systems.
Proficiency in English oral and written is a must. Working level of Arabic is desirable.