HSSE Analysts (multiple home-based retainer contracts)
Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background Information - Job-specific
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, and by the efficient and transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management.
With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background information – HSSE Team in Shared Service Centre (SSC)
UNOPS strategic focus places increased emphasis on national capacity development and sustainable approaches to project services and operations. A key objective is to be recognized as an organization that delivers world-class projects that are both economically, environmentally and socially sustainable, even in the most challenging environments. To achieve this goal, UNOPS established the Health, Safety, Social and Environmental (HSSE) management unit. UNOPS commitment towards safeguarding HSSE management across all UNOPS projects and facilities is outlined in the Policy on HSSE management.
The HSSE Analyst reports to the HSSE Specialist who provides broad supervision and guidance. The role is responsible for providing analysis to support UNOPS Health, Safety, Social and Environment (HSSE) functions.
The role will assist with the development, implementation and improvement of the UNOPS HSSE management electronic system with a particular focus on improving the process of capturing performance data and making valuable analyses available for HSSE management decisions to be made. In addition, the role will assist users in field locations to make the best use of the system to meet the UNOPS HSSE requirements including highlighting key improvement areas for business units.
The HSSE Analyst will be directly supervised by the HSSE Specialist while working closely with training facilitators, training developers, country and regional HSSE coordinators and other ream members of the HSSE unit in HQ.
Summary of functions:
1. Reviewing and improving the HSSE performance indicators
This involves liaising with field users on the use of the current set of indicators and collating feedback to improve the indicators. It also involves coordinating with subject matter experts and field users to develop new sets of indicators and performance monitoring processes.
2. Updating of HSSE data collection processes
The analyst will work with others to maintain or improve the methods of HSSE data collection and processing to make them more efficient and effective. This includes adopting data collection methods to align with the UNOPS enterprise resource planning platform and new software platforms that the HSSE unit may develop.
3. HSSE data analysis and reporting
The analyst shall support the accurate and efficient analysis of HSSE data and the presentation of the data to users at various levels in the organisation in line with their needs.
4. Supporting the use of HSSE indicator data and trends at all levels from the project site to Senior Leadership
The analyst shall support the interpretation and use of trends and HSSE intelligence generated from the data analysed. This includes, but is not limited to, highlighting key risk and impacts that should be addressed and flagging outstanding issues that should be addressed by the HSSE Specialists and the Head of the HSSE Unit.
5. Supporting the development, improvement and facilitation of HSSE training
Support the review and improvement of e-learning materials, support HSSE facilitators in delivering HSSE training courses (both e-learning and face-to-face training).
6. Contributing to the development of an HSSE management e-platform
Support the development of an HSSE management platform through facilitating the review of system specifications, testing newly developed modules of the system and facilitating the piloting of the system at selected locations.
7. Contributing to HSSE management knowledge products such as lessons learned from incidents and development of case studies to support adoption of best practices
Gathering lessons learned and HSSE Knowledge products from good practices, incidents, inspections, audits. Preparing these lessons learned for sharing to the HSSE target audience and supporting the execution of HSSE knowledge sharing activities.
- An advanced / Master's degree preferably in Health and Safety Management, Environmental Management, Social development, Civil Engineering or other related field is required.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor’s or equivalent) in combination with 2 additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of experience in a role that supported health and safety, environmental management, social development or civil engineering is required (with a Master’s / advanced university degree).
- Full working knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: ICA Contract level: I-ICA 1
Contract duration: One year, renewable subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.