Economic Recovery and Development(ERD) Manager
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting IDPs, refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community-based organizations, the civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, economic recovery and development, protection, and prevention and response to gender-based violence (GBV). IRC has its country office in Kampala and Field offices in the West Nile, Western, Acholi, Kampala-Nsambya and Karamoja regions.
The ERD Manager will be responsible for all ERD related projects and interventions designed to restore and/ or strengthen beneficiary economic well-being. S/he will provide leadership and technical support to the ERD team in Yumbe.S/he will manage the components of ERD’s food security, Vocational skilling, enterprise and business development, Village savings and Loans (VSLAs) cash transfers, environment, energy and general livelihoods. The ERD Manager will collaborate with other program Managers to ensure collaboration in project implementation and will work closely with the ERD officers, assistants, volunteers and partner organization to implement program activities. S/he will also ensure quality program data collection and analysis and will play a key role in the process of reporting on the impact of the ERD program to donors. The ERD Manager will conduct frequent visits to field operations to assess the quality of the program, ensure understanding and compliance with donor requirements and provide guidance and coaching to staff.
- Provide Technical guidance and monitor staff in implementation of the work-plan and quality of activities, share relevant information and direction to improve quality and ensure timely implementation of activities.
- Prepare and maintain/update detailed work-plan(s).
- Responsible for the planning and implementation of all ERD activities within their area of operation.
- Develop procurement plans, monthly program spending plan and cash forecasts
- Lead field implementation of the household assessments surveys of ERD beneficiaries and work closely with the M&E Officer for input into beneficiary databases.
- Ensure Activity implementation is in accordance to the budget and track budget expenditure.
- Participate in the development of the program implementation strategy and other project tools
Staff Supervision & Development
- Directly supervises ERD officers, Field Assistant and Volunteers depending on the scope of the program.
- Participate in the recruitment process of ERD officers, Field Assistants and Volunteers.
- Ensure timely completion and submission of monthly timesheets, probations reviews and annual performance reviews.
- Plan/coordinate and oversee staff work-plans, work and vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities
- If/as required identify staff performance issues and work with Human Resources to document and address these in accordance with the National Staff Employment Policies.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions
Program Monitoring & Reporting responsibilities
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits to assess progress and identify technical quality issues and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as required.
- Assist in the collection of data, assessments and proposal development for the sector.
- Develop project reports as per set schedules (monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements
- Ensure all monitoring activities are fully documented, including systematic and timely data collection as required under the grant and for IRC M&E purposes
- Ensure proper documentation and maintain an archive of ERD projects, distributions, activities and related procurements.
- Support in the development of the M&E framework and tools related to the ERD Program component
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs.
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of beneficiaries during the promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment.
Coordination and Representation
- Work closely and coordinate with IRC supply chain, finance and other program staff to ensure timely and compliant program activities and expenditures; including active participation in grant opening/closing and review meetings.
- Represent IRC in different platforms and maintain good working relationships with OPM, UNHCR, District and Sub County Local government officials and behave in a manner that safeguards IRC Public image.
- Attend and actively participate in sector related working group meetings and present the Interests of the IRC.
Other duties as assigned by the ERD Coordinator.
Deadlines for receiving applications is 24th September, 2020