Child Corner Worker - Gaziantep
GOAL an International Humanitarian Organisation is an international emergency and development NGO dedicated to alleviating the suffering of the poorest and most vulnerable. GOAL was established in 1977 and is currently operational in 13 countries world-wide.
GOAL has been working in Syria since 2013, responding to the acute needs of conflict-affected communities. GOAL is working in Idleb Governate, both through direct implementation and through partners, delivering food, non-food programming to highly vulnerable populations, and provision of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) through support to Water units, as well as emergency support to recently displaced household.
GOAL has been contributing to the urban refugee responses in Turkey since 2016 with a focus on responding to needs in health service delivery, social safety nets and the protection of vulnerable and marginalised migrants in southern Turkey.
Overview of the Link Program
GOAL seeks child corner workers for its ECHO-funded LINK program. The program aims to connect vulnerable and marginalized communities to available state and non-state services in Mersin, Adana, Gaziantep and Şanlıurfa provinces using the outreach, advocacy, and Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) approaches. LINK will address and mitigate protection concerns of the vulnerable/marginalized refugees through provision of critical information and raising their awareness on their rights, obligations and services available in Turkey, by sensitization/advocacy (targeting key stakeholders and service providers, etc.) activities and Individual Protection Assistance (IPA) services to assist vulnerable individuals to access to basic, social and protective services available under the provisions of Temporary and International Protection regulations in Turkey. LINK program will exclusively target refugees with nomadic / semi-nomadic backgrounds including Abdals and Doms, who are marginalized community currently excluded from most services; and those engaged in seasonal agricultural works.
Based in either Gaziantep or Adana and reporting to the Protection Team Leaders the position holders will be supporting and working in close collaboration with LINK teams operating in the respective program location particularly with outreach teams, legal counsellors, and psychologist. Overall, she/he will be responsible for the managing child corner facilities of LINK Social Support Centres (SSCs), by ensuring a safe, secure, clean and orderly children facility and providing stimulating play and learning opportunities for children while their parents/guardians attending SSCs activities.
General Functions of the role
- Ensure adherence to GOAL’s code of conducts and other internal policies i.e. on confidentiality, safeguarding, equality, child protection, diversity and inclusion including the GOAL's commitments to the protection from sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA).
- Ensure adherence to internationally recognized protection principles, standards and relevant international and local regulations.
- Work with supervisors and peers in harmony to achieve LINK service plans, objectives, and targets.
- Participate in one to one performance development reviews/appraisals and contribute to the identification of own development needs.
- Ensure full compliance with the GOAL’s health and safety policy and all locally agreed safe methods of work.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Manage child corner activities at LINK SSCs.
- Ensure the child corner is safe, secure, clean, and orderly on a daily based with necessary materials to facilitate stimulating, creative play, learning and motor-skill activities for children.
- Greet parents and children when they come to child corner and record children’s entrance and hours of his/her stay in the corner.
- Provide accurate and appropriate information to parents and children about the child corner and own position’s roles at the SSC.
- Ensure children spend a pleasant time at the child corner and plan/conduct activities that provides children with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Provide a variety of materials and resources for children to explore, manipulate, and use, both in learning activities and in imaginative play.
- Teach younger children basic skills such as color, shape, number and letter recognition and personal hygiene, etc.
- Organize and lead activities designed to promote physical, mental, and social development such as games, arts and crafts, music, reading book and storytelling, etc.
- Instruct and monitor children to ensure proper use of equipment and materials in order to prevent injuries to children and damage to equipment.
- Be vigilant of children showing signs of abuse, neglect, emotional, developmental, health-related problems, etc. and discuss them with supervisor.
- Plan and inform relevant LINK team members to ensure the child corner equipment, materials, and supplies are in place in a timely manner.
- Have clear and comprehensive knowledge of all LINK services, staff roles and duties.
- Remain representable, punctual, and available during scheduled work hours.
- Be prepared for challenging behaviors and remain calm with difficult children.
- Attend and actively contribute to team meetings.
- Perform other duties as agreed with supervisor.
- Turkish Citizenship
- Relevant university degree and/or certificates in childcare, early childhood education, social work, psychology, etc.
- At least 1 year of experience in childcare services in a paid and/or voluntary capacity.
- Native or fluent Arabic speaker either with fluent English or Turkish language skills.
- Prior experience in similar roles.
- Flexible, enthusiastic, and willing to learn from others.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment.
- A self-motivated person, with multi-tasking skills, prioritises well, works under pressure, and manages time and tasks efficiently and effectively.
- Working knowledge and practices with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Work experience in Southeast Turkey and/or with semi-nomadic groups and /or seasonal agricultural workers is an asset.
- Work experience in the I/NGO sector is preferable.
General Terms and Conditions
GOAL has a Staff Code of Conduct and a Child Protection Policy, which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of program participants and children from exploitation. GOAL also has a confidentiality policy ensuring the non-disclosure of any information whatsoever relating to the practices and business of GOAL, acquired in the course of duty, to any other person or organization without authority, except in the normal execution of duty. Any candidate offered a job with GOAL will be expected to adhere to these policies any job offer made is also subject to police clearance. GOAL is an equal opportunities employer.
This Job Description only serves as a guide for the position available. GOAL reserves the right to change this document. Any published closing dates are estimated. Due to the nature of GOAL’s work we aim to fill vacancies as quickly as possible. This means that we will close adverts as soon as we have found the right candidate, and this may be before the published closing date. We would therefore advise interested applicants to apply as early as possible.
Interested? Then apply for this position via clicking on the "apply now" button and fill out the application form. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.