Home-based consultancy: Podcast & Webradio Programme Consultant (108 days)
The UNICEF Migrant and Refugee Response in Italy is looking for a home-based consultant to design and develop: 1/ a web-radio news oriented programme for the U-Report on the Move platform; 2/ a series of podcasts for the UNICEF Migrants response programme including youth participation, child protection and GBV.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, results
Since the beginning of the migrant and refugee influx, UNICEF is responding to the unique needs of adolescents who are seeking asylum in Europe, on the move, stranded or pushed back. In Italy, the UNICEF Migrant and Refugee Response is focused on 1.Youth & Adolescent Development 2. Child Protection and 3. Gender-Based Violence (GBV) programmes for a comprehensive response.
The Youth & Adolescent Development efforts focus on participation and skills building activities to guarantee young migrants and refugees have their voices heard and are empowered to take the lead and have the skills and competencies needed for their social inclusion in Italy. Interventions include voice & participation through the U-Report on the Move platform; youth led advocacy through UNICEF Activate Talks events; formal and non formal education (UPSHIFT).
The Child Protection and GBV efforts combine humanitarian service delivery with capacity building, policy reform and technical assistance, with partner organizations and governments. UNICEF uses both partner centers and programme bases as well as mobile outreach to identify and refer at-risk boys and girls, particularly unaccompanied and separated children (UASC), to relevant services, including psycho-social assistance, and access to alternative care and guardianship.
The Youth & Adolescent Development, Child Protection and GBV programmes combine their efforts and collaboration through the use of the U-Report on the Move digital platform dedicated to young migrants and refugees living in Italy. Through the platform, the U-Reporters have the possibility to voice their opinion on key issues of concerns through monthly opinion polls and to benefit from digital one-to-one counseling (legal and more) via Facebook Messenger. U-Report has three core goals:
- Scale: the more voices are expressed in U-Report, the louder they become, the more data is generated, and the more likely they’ll be listened to.
- Engage: once U-Reporters opt in it is important the project keeps them engaged and participating on issues that affect their communities
- Change: achieve positive change through communication with U-Reporters and the application of community data to solving problems.
The UNICEF Migrant and Refugee Response in Italy is now looking to widen the communication channels and scope of activities in support to the three U- Report pillars of Scale, Engage and Change through the development of a Podcast/Web-Radio channel. The consultant will be working closely with all members of the UNICEF Migrant and Refugee Response, their network of partners and the beneficiaries to produce a series of podcasts.
How can you make a difference?
The objective of this consultancy is to support the UNICEF Migrant and Refugee Response in Italy to design and develop 1/ a web-radio news oriented programme for the U-Report on the Move platform; 2/ a series of podcasts for the UNICEF Migrants response programme including youth participation, child protection and GBV.
Under the overall supervision of the Youth and Adolescent Development Specialist, the consultant is expected to collaborate closely with the UNICEF Migrant and Refugee Response teams in Italy and liaise with the relevant partners, and undertake the following tasks:
- Create a comprehensive webradio/podcast strategy covering all three main programmes of activities (Youth and Adolescence Development, Child Protection and GBV) providing expertise on branding, format, frequency and dissemination strategy (elaborate content calendar timeline)
- Create and manage the SPREAKER Account for the dissemination of the podcasts, tracking analytics and engagement
- In collaboration with the U-Report on the Move manager and the U-Partner teams, develop, produce and monitor the implementation of weekly live podcasts to broadcast relevant news for young migrants and refugees living in Italy (legal assistance, education & training, key information on the U-Report program or other UNICEF Migrants & Refugee response program).
- In collaboration with the Youth Engagement and Communication specialist, develop a series of 5 podcasts focusing on storytelling on a selection of topics
- Train a small team of U-Ambassadors/U-Bloggers and other adolescents and young people for their participation in the podcasts, as well as provide insights on the technical requirements and material needed.
- Produce a monthly report on the activities, indicating the results for key performance indicators on the project.
Contract duration:108 working days over a period of 6 months
- Quality of oral materials produced;
- Accuracy, depth and relevance of information provided;
- Quality of working relations;
- Timeliness of response to the team’s requests for support;
- Timely delivery of deliverables and adherence to timeline and set deadlines.
Location and equipment required: The consultant will be home based. The consultant must have his/her own computer and email, phone and credits, printer and paper, podcast recording and designing material and softwares.
Terms of Payment: The payment will be done upon satisfactory completion of each deliverable.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced University degree in journalism, communications, social sciences or other relevant fields;
- Minimum three years of experience in the design and production of podcasts and webradio materials;
- Excellent planning and organizational skills;
- Fluency in Italian and English.
- Experience working with UN/international organizations.
- Fluency in other languages such as Arabic, Bengali, Tigrinya, Albanian or any UN official languages would be an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Applicants are invited to:
- complete their UNICEF profile;
- attach a CV, a Motivation Letter and portfolio of work related to consultancy;
- submit a financial proposal, bearing in mind that the maximum daily fee allowed for this consultancy is USD 240.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as leave entitlements and medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.