International Consultant - development of online learning course for public servants
United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN Women) supports UN Member States to achieve gender equality, and works with governments and civil society to develop laws, policies, programs and services needed to ensure the effective application of international standards and their benefits for women and girls around the world. For a long time, UN Women has provided technical and financial support to gender mainstreaming of budgeting initiatives.
UN Women Country Office in Kazakhstan is actively involved in the initiative on gender-responsive budgeting integration in Kazakhstan, together with the Ministry of National Economy of the Republic of Kazakhstan (MNE RK). The result of such cooperation was the development of an Action Plan for the Implementation of Gender Budgeting in Kazakhstan for the period 2020–2025, which identified specific measures to improve planning and budgeting procedures taking into account gender factors. As a result of the agreement of the Ministry of National Economy with the National Commission for Women and Family and Demographic Policy, it was decided to integrate the activities of this Plan into the general Action plan for the implementation of the Concept of family and gender policy in the Republic of Kazakhstan until 2030 (the second stage).
The ongoing UN Women project in Kazakhstan, entitled “Assistance to achieve Sustainable Development Goals and enforce commitments on gender equality promotion in Kazakhstan”, is working to improve processes related to national planning and budgeting through gender mainstreaming in national policies, programs and strategies.
In order to strengthen the educational and professional capacities of civil servants in planning and budgeting using gender approaches, the project plans to develop an E-learning course in the format of online modules on the topic "Gender Analysis in the National Planning and Budgeting System". This online course will be designed to increase the awareness and improve the skills of Kazakhstani civil servants in applying gender-based analysis to the development of policies and programs.
This course in the system of training and advanced training of civil servants will serve as an additional tool for improving the process of national planning and budgeting, taking into account the principles of gender equality and equal rights and opportunities for women. The Gender analysis helps to provide the comprehensive information on the distribution of resources among various budget programmes and categories of beneficiaries, the impact of public policies and the cost of living of citizens, which provides a more constructive basis for decision-makers.
The developed online training module will be one of the results of a joint project with the Ministry of National Economy; it will recommended to the Agency of the Republic of Kazakhstan for Civil Service Affairs to integrate it to the website of the Academy of Public Administration and further inclusion into the curriculum of educational programme for civil servants to support them in clear prioritization, planning, budgeting and implementation of its strategic plans, programmes and policy documents with principles of gender equality and the empowerment of women.
In this regard, UN Women is seeking an international consultant to undertake the development of an interactive online learning course on Gender Analysis in the National Planning and Budgeting System (in Russian).
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Develop and submit the detailed work plan and methodology.
2. Undertake desk research and analyze all the necessary documents/training modules, training materials to fully understand the ground situation, national budget legislations in Kazakhstan and existing training material on gender analysis (GA), gender budgeting (GB) in national planning system.
3. Design and develop a functional prototype of the self-paced online learning modules for review and clearance.
The learning online modules outline should include the following themes (but not limited):
Course should be understandable, interactive and should consist of presentations, practical cases, examples, final tests, and completion certificate. Course should meet successful international standards, methods on GRB and Kazakhstani specifics of national planning and budgeting system. The consultant shall ensure that the developed learning modules are comprised of innovative training approaches and interactive communication methods;
4. Share the draft modules with UN Women for review; incorporate comments and finalize the modules.
5. The consultant if necessary will coordinate with the UN Women, Academy of Public Administration in order to meet technical requirements of the educational on-line platform.
The consultant will present the results to UN Women Programme Specialist regularly in order and share the progress of activities under this contract and certify that the works, tasks, assignments have been satisfactorily performed.
6. The consultant will jointly work with a Video and Audio content production company that will be contracted by UN Women to produce online course and required filming.
7. The consultant will validate the selected design. This will ensure that the final product has:
Any identified deficiencies in the selected design during the validation process will be corrected by the consultant, approved and accepted by UN Women.
8. The consultant needs to ensure the following points while developing the online Learning modules:
The consultant should be aware of the cultural contexts of the learners. Images and references should be culturally appropriate.
9. Consulting after launching of the course on the training platform in case of questions from UN Women’s side.
10. Submit a final detailed report on completion of work.
- Respect for Diversity;
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;
- Creative Problem Solving;
- Effective Communication;
- Inclusive Collaboration;
- Stakeholder Engagement;
- Leading by Example.
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:?http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
The application should contain:
- Short Letter of interest
- Completed UN Women Personal History (P11) form, UN Women Personal History Form (P11)
- Supporting materials/ weblink that justify professional work experience
Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment, hence all supporting documents: Letter of interest and P11 form must be scanned as one attachment. Applications without completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced degree/Diploma in Economics, Gender Studies, Public Administration, Social Sciences, International Law or any other related field.
Professional work experience:
- Minimum 7 years of experience in gender equality/ women empowerment and gender mainstreaming into policies, legal regulations and programs (supporting materials or weblink to the site where the document is available to learn about the candidate’s experience)
- Experience and knowledge on gender analysis, budget planning and conducting research in GRB field, RBM and other gender related analysis (please provide a link to the resource to access the study)
- Experience and good knowledge of national planning and budgeting system of Kazakhstan;
- Specific experience in conducting trainings for civil servants, development of training courses/modules/curriculum;
- Minimum 5 years of experience with UN agencies and other international organizations, as well as with government agencies and NGO for promoting gender equality, gender sensitive planning and budgeting, and result-oriented budget
Advanced writing and speaking skills in English and Russian.