Human Resources Officer NOA, Baghdad 1
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies, building prosperity and supporting a sustainable future for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change. In 2019, WFP assisted over 711,000 people in Iraq. Through providing food for vulnerable people, skills to build futures and enhanced social protection, WFP is helping the Iraqi government build people’s resilience and food security. For more information, visit wfp.org/countries/iraqand ar.wfp.org/countries/iraq
Reporting to the Head of Human Resources for the Country Office (CO), the HR Officer will operate with minimal supervision and be expected to engage and support junior staff to deliver operational and project objectives. S/he will provide advice and guidance to a variety of stakeholders at various levels on complex issues, applying HR rules, regulations and expertise in making determinations and recommendations across a range of activities.
To deliver professional, client-focused HR services, partnering with managers, and other stakeholders as necessary, to implement HR solutions in line with WFP corporate priorities.
- Contribute towards the development of country specific plans and processes and deliver HR operational activities or projects following standard processes and ensuring alignment with wider WFP policies.
- Provide advice to managers and employees, understanding their needs and ensuring policies, procedures, processes, systems and tools are available and correctly applied to support them.
- Provide effective management of the employment relationship between WFP and its staff by administering conditions of service, contracts and appropriate entitlements, and resolving employee relations issues.
- Contribute to staff capability building by working with managers to understand individual skills and business requirements, and organizing/delivering development solutions which equip people with the skills and knowledge required to meet current and future challenges.
- Deliver onboarding activities which ensure new employees have a positive experience of WFP, and are successfully integrated into their new role and the organisation.
- Contribute to building and managing talent within WFP, working with managers to understand their needs and delivering solutions to recruit, retain, manage and develop a high calibre workforce to deliver business objectives.
- Support organizational design activities that enable senior management to define and organize structures and jobs and allocate people to the right places in order to improve efficiency.
- Guide and supervise junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Collate and analyse data for the preparation of accurate and timely reporting to support a WFP wide view of HR activities that enables informed decision-making and consistent information for stakeholders.
- Contribute to continuous improvement by implementing new/updated HR policies, procedures and systems and recommending improvements to ways of working.
- Other as required.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
With guidance from the Head of HR, applies sound knowledge of WFP’s strategic plans to develop and support the HR strategy and policies which best meet employee needs. Utilizes in-depth understanding of these and appropriate engagement channels to support the implementation of a tailored approach to drive workforce effectiveness. Supports and guides the empowerment of the Country HR team, in addition to talent process personalisation.
HR Expertise & Policy Knowledge
Is able to connect and liaise with HR peers inside the organization to ensure in-depth understanding and sharing of emerging HR practices. Applies this, along with the ongoing development of junior team members, in order to develop tactical approaches to implement HR policies, evaluate their effectiveness and improve them on an on-going basis.
Business Knowledge & Partnership
Applies effective relationship skills to build strong partnerships with appropriate stakeholders in order to develop a strategic understanding of WFP’s long-term objectives, and applies this to assist with the development of a supporting HR strategy. Considered a trusted advisor by internal stakeholders. Role models, champions and develops junior team members in strategic partnering capability at appropriate levels.
Enabling Talent Management Solutions
Applies a sound understanding of WFP organisational requirements to create a team strategy for applying HR solutions. Is able to skilfully leverage relationships within WFP to ensure that HR solutions are driving the right behaviours, in line with WFP's overall aims.
HR Operations Management
Applies leadership skills in advocating for HR operations improvement, based on leading HR practices. Under the guidance and direction of the Head of HR, is able to skilfully leverage relationships to ensure buy-in and support for HR Operations.
Education: First university degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Industrial Psychology or other relevant fields.
Experience: 5 or more years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience in Human Resources with an interest in international humanitarian development.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English and Arabic.
- Sound knowledge of HR concepts and principles with a broad knowledge of best practices, techniques and processes.
- Ability to lead, coach and motivate a team.
- Good communication skills with the ability to persuade, influence and adapt communication style to different situations and individuals.
- Knowledge of common business principles and processes and the ability to quickly assimilate UN/WFP specific processes and systems.
- Talent acquisition experience ideally within a fast-moving, highly dynamic organization.
- Ability to build and maintain effective work relationships with human resources counterparts, managers and staff within HQ/regional/country office.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to establish priorities, and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan and those under his/her supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients and provide client-oriented service. Ability to identify client’s needs and match them to appropriate solutions.
- Ability to explain the rationale for human resources decisions and to gain buy-in from different stakeholders.
Position Title: Human Resources Officer
Grade: National Officer - Level A (NOA)
Contract: Fixed-Term (FT) - One-year renewable
Duty Station/travel: Baghdad with travel inside Iraq and occationally abroad
26 September 2020
FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ENCURRAGED TO APPLY.