UNECA - Information Technology Assistant (SC-SB3)
Under the guidance of the Director Sub-Regional Office for North Africa and the supervision of the Knowledge and Management Officer with a dotted-line reporting to ICTSS in ECA HQ, the Information Technology Assistant provides a full range of technical assistance in the area of system administration and support to ensure the design, development maintenance and smooth functioning of the desktops, telecommunication and information systems at North Africa Sub-Regional Office. The Information Technology Assistant promotes results-oriented approach, focusing on achieving high quality assistance to all clients (internal and external).
The Information Technology Assistant works in close collaboration with all staff at the Sub-Regional Office and within UNECA to exchange information and experience and ensure consistent service delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Ensures the upgrading or improvement of the existing user systems including the public websites of the Sub-Regional Office; designs and develops dynamic web applications;
- Oversees the existing databases and applications; designs, develops and augments new databases and produces a series of standard links for in-house and external users;
- Assists staff in the day-to-day utilization of computing tools such as routine installation, configuration and testing.
- Contributes to establish a database management system; streamline the Knowledge Management foundation at the Sub-Regional Office and oversees its regular updating as necessary;
- Contributes to regular maintenance of the Sub-Regional Office’s ICT systems (LAN, PABX, messaging, video-conferencing, hardware, software, etc), and ensure the stability of their connectivity;
- Maintains the Sub-Regional Office’s global network and telecommunication systems in good working conditions in close collaboration with the Information Technology and Umoja Support Section at ECA Headquarters;
- Participates in technology initiatives aimed at developing new and advanced information management systems, including research and dissemination;
- Provides technical support, guidance and training to all staff including new arrivals.
- Participates in the installation and testing of computing software and hardware; assists in the maintenance and management of ICT-related resources, equipment and software; and performs other IT related duties as required.
Impact of Results
The key results have an impact on the efficiency of the Office work and the daily running of its operations. Smooth functioning of all applications and IT systems. Ensures good communication with UNECA HQ, other sub-regional offices and external clients,
- Functional Competencies:
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Design and Implementation of Management Systems
Level 1.1: Data gathering and implementation of data management systems
- Uses information/databases/other management systems
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
2. Core Competencies:
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
Required Skills and Experience
- Moroccan Nationality
- High school diploma or equivalent. first university degree an advantage. Additional studies in the area of advanced programming languages, such as C, C++, XML, ASP. NET Java, etc.; database design and management tools (SQL, MySQL, Oracle); and graphics software design and troubleshooting tools is highly desirable. A Cisco certification in network administration is high desirable.
- A minimum of five to six (5-6) years of experience in information technology or related fields, particularly information systems management, web and database design and LAN is required. Knowledge of computing technology such as Windows Server, Novell, LINUX, MS Office, CSS, PHP, SSH, and Lotus Domino is desirable. Knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 is an asset. Experience or knowledge of ITIL service management framework is a plus.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written French is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language, particularly Arabic & English, is an advantage.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.
Female apllicants are highly encouraged