Consultant Air Transport Officer - Air Transport Unit
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Duration: 6 months extendable up to 11 months
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Plan and coordinate the day-to-day aspects of aviation operations to ensure efficient, cost-effective and reliable access to remote and hard-to-reach communities in need of humanitarian assistance.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Plan and coordinate all activities relating to the safe execution of aviation operations in accordance with WFP and UN AVSTADS (Aviation Standards).
- In coordination with Head Air Transport Unit initiates and prepares evaluation of Request for Offers (airlifts, airfreights, long term charter agreements, etc,…), assists in the negotiations of air operations tariffs, charges and taxes then proceeds to offer contracts to best offers accepted by requesting country office.
- Provide Aviation Field Offices with support for Long Term agreements for contracted aircraft fleet.
- Ensures that all contractual provisions and obligations are satisfied and produces contract performance reports.
- Review tender offers, perform technical & financial analysis and prepare information for evaluation by the Air Transport Contract Committee; present and compile minutes of the committee, prepares necessary documentation for the decision Memorandum.
- Maintains a high level of working relationship with vendors while ensuring equal, ethical and fair treatment is provided to each of them.
- Periodically reviews and analyzes aircraft utilization, cargo and passenger traffic statistics in close liaison with respective Chiefs to assess viability of routes, optimization of air assets and overall service improvements.
- Negotiate and coordinate logistics and administrative support for aviation services in the area of assignment e.g. continuous fuel supply, food and accommodation services, preparation of contracts and supplier payments.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to optimize use of available funds.
- Collaborate with internal counterparts and external partners to align aviation activities with wider UN and WFP programmes and activities to ensure a coherent approach to humanitarian air transportation.
- Review and/or prepare accurate and timely reports to support a WFP-wide view of aviation activities that enables informed decision making and detailed reporting to donor representatives.
- Follow emergency logistics preparedness practices to ensure WFP is able to quickly provide passenger services, relief supplies and emergency medical and security evacuations at the onset of a crisis.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity to meet the required provision of service to the humanitarian community.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in commercial aviation. Specific focus in humanitarian air operations or food aid desirable.
- Experience establishing methodologies for risk analysis and problem resolution.
- Experience in aviation procurement processes.
- Advanced University degree in Aeronautics, Aviation Engineering, Airport Management or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of relevant work experience and/or training/courses.
- Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Holds or has held a Commercial Pilot License, Air Traffic Control License or Flight Operations Officer License (or equivalent), Aeronautical Engineer or Maintenance Engineer License.
- Experience working with aviation industry air operators and brokers for passenger and cargo transport in support of Operations.
- Experience working with vendors and contracting processes and committees.
- Experience liaising with country authorities to facilitate air operations.
- Experience supervising professional staff and reviewing employee reports for accuracy and compliance with quality standards.
- Good negotiation and motivational skills, with the ability to influence at mid to senior levels within the organization.
- Good communication skills with the ability to draft clear, influential messages from complex data.
- General understanding of business principles and processes and the ability to quickly assimilate UN/WFP, NGO or other humanitarian-specific processes and systems.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Mobility is and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. However, this position is for the specific assignment outlined in this VA and the selected candidate will be offered a consultancy appointment, based in HQ Rome, Italy, specifically to the position and related funding.
Deadline for applications: Sunday, 4 October 2020
Ref: VA No. 125465
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.