Information Technology Applications Specialist
Mandaluyong City (Philippines)
FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
For more than four decades, FAO has been working with the Government of the Philippines, civil society, community-based organizations and the private sector to address challenges in the agriculture, fisheries and forestry sector. Joint efforts have included increasing sustainability in agricultural production, promoting value-adding practices, improving post-harvest management, enhancing productivity and increasing the resilience of agriculture-based livelihoods to natural disasters, climatic hazards and armed conflict.
The Information Technology Applications Specialist will be under the overall guidance of the FAO Representative in the Philippines ad interim, direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), day to day guidance of the National Disaster Risk Reduction & Management and Climate Change Adaptation Specialist, and working in close coordination with the TCP/PHI/3803/C3 Project Team, the Technical Assessment Team of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Department of Agriculture (DA).
Philippines Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Act (AFMA) of 1997 has mandated the Department of Agriculture (DA) to formulate an Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization Plan (AFMP) to develop the agriculture and fisheries sector and meet the country goals on food security, poverty alleviation, social equity, income enhancement and profitability, global competitiveness, and sustainability. In August 2019, the DA Secretary William Dar introduced the “New Thinking for Agriculture” as the Department’s strategy to achieve a food secure Philippines with prosperous farmers and fisherfolk. This strategy includes 8 paradigms: 1) modernization of agriculture, 2) industrialization of agriculture, 3) promotion of exports, 4) consolidation of small and medium, 5) infrastructure development, 6) roadmap development, 7) higher budget and investments, 8) legislative support. Anchored on this new strategy, the DA has initiated the formulation of the National Agriculture and Fisheries Modernization and Industrialization Plan (NAFMIP) 2020-2025 with the technical assistance of the Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO). NAFMIP will represent a segment of the long-term efforts in support of the thrusts and priorities set in the Ambisyon Natin 2040 and more immediately the Philippine Development Plan (PDP) 2017-2022, Chapter 8 on “Expanding Economic Opportunities in Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries”.
Tasks and responsibilities
The Information Technology Applications Specialist will develop and provide inputs for developing on-line and digital platforms in support of agriculture and fishery development.
The Information Technology Applications Specialist will carry out the following tasks:
- Lead in the review and synthesis of relevant emerging best practices in information technology applications, such as Digifarm, that can aide in the implementation of the interventions in the NAFMIP 2020-2025;
- Develop selected information technologies, such as among the following:
-- Market development: such as expanded KADIWA on-line operations; expanded Rapid Pass; market-matching; e-commerce, internet and smartphone applications,
-- Production planning and research: such as beneficiary databases; use of satellite imaging to determine soil characteristics, water requirements, etc.; geo-tagging for M&E; etc.
-- Extension services: such as on-line platforms for on-line training; etc.
- Contribute to the work of the DA in developing the Farmers’ Registry;
- Contribute to sections of the NAFMIP or component plans, integrating above technical inputs, as designated by DA;
- Prepare presentation materials for various meetings, consultations, workshops;
- Perform other tasks relevant to the technical specialization as deemed necessary by the project
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- The candidate must have Advance University Degree in Information Technology, computer engineering, or related fields
- At least eight (8) years experience in geographic information systems (GIS) and related IT applications in development planning and program/ project management.
- A national of the Philippines
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- General knowledge and skills in the use of standard office software, such as MS Office (Word, Excel, Power Point)
- Familiar with relevant international standards and benchmarks in GIS and IT planning applications
- Language requirement: Excellent written and oral communication skills in English
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.