Assistant National Programme Officer
Post Number : 4AFED1000RP
Grade : NO-A
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Kabul
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term Field
Duration of contract : 2 years
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 16-OCT-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, In tegrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only nationals of Afghanistan may apply for this position
Long Description Long Description
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNESCO Kabul Office and the direct supervision of the Programme Specialist (Education)/Team Leader, the incumbent is to undertake a range of responsibilities to assist the Programme Specialist (Education)/Team Leader in planning, coordinating, implementing, monitoring and evaluating the education regular programmes and extra-budgetary projects of UNESCO Kabul Office to achieve education related goals and targets set in the National Education Strategic Plan (NESP), Afghan National Peace and Development Framework (ANPDF), Afghanistan Sustainable Development Goals (A-SDGs) and in line with the frameworks of UNESCO's Medium Term Strategy (C/4s), the approved Programme and Budget (C/5) and global development plans such as the Education 2030 agenda.OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
1. Programme and Project Contribution
- Contribute to the design, plan, development, coordination, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the Office's Education Strategy and its corresponding programmes, projects and activities, ensuring the timely and coherent implementation and taking particular attention in maximizing synergies in the work of UNESCO Kabul Office, the Headquarters, other field offices/regional bureau/Category 1 institutes in education.
- Provide logistical and administrative support, in coordination with project officers and the operations team of the Education Unit, to the successful implementation of programmes, projects and activities, including consultations, meetings, network and partnership initiatives, events and missions.
- Take active participation in different education-related platforms, committees and working groups as assigned by the Programme Specialist (Education)/Team Leader and support in consolidating feedback from the Education Unit to provide to the relevant platforms, committees and working groups.
- Assist in the facilitation of close working relationships and exchanges with the National Commission, education ministries/authorities and their relevant departments, national institutes, education stakeholders and networks.
- Contribute to the coordination of narrative and financial reporting to the Education Sector in the Headquarters, UN Country Team, donors and other external development partners and track and report on implementation using relevant tools including SISTER and manage the budgets in coordination with project officers and the operations team of the Education Unit.
- Act on an ad-hoc basis to support the Programme Specialist (Education)/Team Leader in communicating and managing consultants and service providers.
- Participate in joint collaboration with other UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, development partners and stakeholders, through identifying, concretizing, coordinating and carrying out joint education programming.
2. Research, Knowledge Management and Public Information
- Contribute to the conduct of situational analysis and research, and compilation of data and inputs to concept notes, publications, briefings, progress reports and other education programme and project documents.
- Contribute to public information and outreach tasks by providing input to publications, website articles and social media posts.
- Upload relevant programme and project documents onto designated platforms and/or shared drives to ensure good maintenance of the institutional memory of UNESCO Kabul Office.
3. Partnership and Resource Mobilization
- Assist in building partnerships with stakeholders, in particular with national authorities, the private sector, civil society, non-governmental organizations and multilateral funding organizations.
- Analyze and compile data for potential partnership opportunities and provide input to concept notes and proposals to mobilize resources for projects.
- Additional activities that may be required, as assigned by the Director and/or the Programme Specialist (Education)/Team Leader to ensure the success of the work team.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in education, social sciences, development studies or a related discipline with emphasis on project planning, management, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Minimum of two years of relevant work experience in the field of education, within the government, UN agencies and/or other international organizations.
Skills and Competencies
- Excellent understanding of education in Afghanistan and in the context of Education 2030 Agenda.
- Excellent organizational skills in project planning, management and implementation.
- Strong coordination skills in dealing with governmental and non-governmental organizations and stakeholders.
- Excellent judgment and proven ability to achieve organizational objectives with minimal supervision.
- Significant sensitivity and adaptability to culture, gender, religion, race and nationality and ability to maintain effective working relationships within a multicultural environment and to work effectively in a team environment.
- Excellent communication skills, including written and oral expression.
- Highly competent computer skills to perform common office tasks.
- Excellent knowledge (spoken and written) of English.
- Experience in education project planning, management and implementation.
- Experience in education policy advocacy, communication outreach and knowledge management.
- Experience in coordinating and managing multi stakeholder networks/partnerships in the field of education.
- Experience in resource mobilization.
- Proficiency in Dari and/or Pashto.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.