Founded in 1933, the International Rescue Committee (www.rescue.org) is a world leader in relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict development services for those uprooted or affected by violent conflict and oppression. The IRC is currently working in over 40 countries around the world, addressing both the immediate and lifesaving needs of conflict affected people in emergencies and the reconstruction needs of post-conflict societies.
The IRC began programming in northern Uganda in 1998 in response to mass displacement and devastation wrought by rebel group, the Lord’s Resistance Army. In 2002, the IRC expanded to the remote, conflict-affected region of Karamoja and in 2011, began working with refugees in Kampala. Monitoring the influx of South Sudanese refugees at the end of 2015, the IRC began scaling up its response to refugees arriving in the West Nile region. By promoting durable solutions that deliver on the interdependent aims of saving lives, strengthening institutions, and supporting social cohesion, the IRC in Uganda is laying the building blocks for long-term stability and development –bringing people from harm to home. The IRC currently works in 9 districts in Uganda, including Kitgum, Lamwo, Kyegegwa, Moroto, Amudat, Yumbe, Arua, Kasese and Kampala. The IRC will be moving into additional/new locations in refugee settlements in Moyo and Arua.
Scope of work:
The position will also be responsible for the standardization of policies and good warehousing/fleet management practices across all the field sites and will require regular travel to provide technical support to the field-based warehouse staff
Duties and responsibilities:
- Inspect and record the condition of the vehicle on a daily basis; prepare weekly maintenance checklist.
- Ensure timely servicing and maintenance of IRC vehicles (complete service request forms and maintain service maintenance records); report to head driver any mechanical problems.
- Ensure vehicle is insured and all legal documents are in order at all times; inform Fleet assistant three weeks in advance of any renewals due (i.e. insurance, road license, etc.).
- Conduct daily assessments of road conditions and security situation.
- Drive Patients, Care givers and staff in a safe and courteous manner to during referrals
- Operate HF and VHF mobile radio equipment.
- Maintain cleanliness of interior/exterior of vehicle.
- Give accurate reconciliation within the given period.
- Obey IRC vehicle policy and operating procedures at all times (use of logbook, no drinking and driving, signing out vehicle on vehicle registry and so on).
- Assist with other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
Key working relationships
Position Reports to: Supply chain AssistantPosition directly supervises:None
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: IRC staff, Health workers
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.