Kenya: Project Lead
About the Opportunity
Under the direction of the Assistant Controller, this position processes requests for payroll reports and all payroll tax filings for all corporate staff.
Our ideal candidate for this role is a detail-oriented problem-solver with education and/or experience in accounting, preferably in the nonprofit world, and excitement to learn. This person’s background and experience will enable them to thrive in a diverse, fast-paced environment.
Currently Internews' Arcata, California Headquarters office is closed and staff are working remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic. This office will be closed until at least June 1, 2021. Until the situation meaningfully changes, this position will also function remotely. While it would be ideal to have a candidate based in the Arcata, California area, we are also considering remote based staff for this role who are in a location that allows for collaboration with the PST Time Zone and our staff in the Headquarters office.
Our Commitment to Fostering a Culture of Belonging
We are an organization of dynamic, mission-driven individuals who are passionate about our core values and about supporting positive change in the world. We pride ourselves on our commitment to innovation and flexibility. We believe that diverse teams are strong teams and work to support an ethic of belonging, dignity, and justice for all people. Our current team includes a mix of genders, parents, and non-parents, and people of multiple races, nationalities, ages, sexual orientations and socio-economic backgrounds. We are EEO employer and encourage candidates of all races, genders, ages, orientations, ethnicities, and national origins to apply, and welcome those with alternative backgrounds and experiences.
Key Responsibilities of the Position Include:
- Processes all payroll tax payments (federal, state, international).
- Prepares and reports all state and federal quarterly and annual tax returns including but not limited to W2’s, W3, 941’s.
- Maintains Personnel Master File information related to processing payroll.
- Prepares audit reports related to payroll such as 401K, workers compensation and corporate- and funder-required audits.
- Ensures accurate data analysis and secure dissemination for reports requested by other corporate team members.
- Reconciles general ledger balance sheet accounts related to payroll on a monthly basis.
- Assists in compliance with payroll laws through research and discussion with tax authorities.
- Establishes new accounts (SUI, SWT, etc.) with appropriate tax authorities and corresponding vendors in corporate ERP software.
- Monitors correspondence from payroll tax authorities and resolves associated issues.
- Assists in writing/maintaining payroll policies and internal procedures.
- Assists payroll team with semi-monthly payroll processing, timesheet maintenance, recode requests, expense reimbursements, and other correspondence/requests.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications We’re Looking For:
- Minimum one year of payroll processing or tax compliance experience.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent from two-year college or technical school.
- General knowledge of not-for-profit Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Technical and logistical problem-solving capabilities and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal and oral and written communication skills.
- High degree of social adaptability and sensitivity to cultural differences.
- Intermediate MS Office suite skills, particularly Excel.
- Ability to self-manage competing deadlines.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- US work authorization required.
***Candidates who do not have these preferred qualifications, but are interested and willing to learn are still encouraged to apply**
- Experience in multi-state and/or international payroll and tax law research.
- Advanced degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field.
- Working knowledge of Uniform Guidance 2cfr200.
- Experience with enterprise level non-profit accounting software.