Assc External Relations Of
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Associate External Relations Officer
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
Direct supervision is normally exercised by a (Snr) External Relations Officer or Representative who provides guidance on the applicable procedures. Advice may also be provided by relevant functional units at HQ. External contacts are with a broad range of partners and stakeholders, including inter alia, government, media, embassies, donors, UN agencies, NGOs and other national and international organizations, as well as general public on matters of importance to the Organization.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Stay abreast of the challenges posed by the political context, the UN and humanitarian reform, and institutional developments in the area of forced displacement and humanitarian operations.
- Assist the implementation of a communications strategy that generates support for UNHCR¿s operations from external partners (e.g. the general public, governments, partners, media, academia, NGOs, private sector and persons of concern).
- Assist in the dialogue with donors and embassies and provide relevant information on UNHCR operations and financial requirements by organizing regular briefings, bilateral meetings and missions and responding to donors¿ requests for information on ad hoc basis.
- Through a consultative process with headquarters, disseminate information on UNHCR¿s global funding situation and mobilize additional funds to implement programmes and projects aimed at enhancing the quality of protection for persons of concern in the country operation.
- Assist in the coordination of the drafting of, situation reports, briefing notes, background material, talking points, fact sheets, press releases and articles.
- Draft narrative and financial reports on contributions in compliance with specific donor requirements.
- Monitor earmarking level of funding for UNHCR Country operation and ensure appropriate visibility for donor contributions in compliance with UNHCR guidelines and specific donor requirements.
- Participate on behalf of the Representative and other supervisors in inter-agency cooperation and communication strategies, initiatives and tools.
- Assist in the management of information flows within the country operations by identifying priority matters, securing, analyzing and disseminating documentation and information to support country operations and corporate communication processes and priorities.
- Consolidate information on UNHCR¿s country operations and identify appropriate messages for campaigns and appeals.
- Propose events and initiatives (e.g. commercial, cultural, political and sports) to promote the work of UNHCR and take action as appropriate.
- Support the management of media relations by, inter alia, responding to direct queries, publishing press releases, handling interview requests and organizing regular briefings and visits to country operations.
- Promote visibility of UNHCR¿s work and advocate for support for the people of concern through providing inputs for social media and other web content.
- Organize missions to the field and press briefings for external parties as required.
- Implement all aspects of a communications strategy.
- Represent UNHCR on behalf of senior management in fundraising and communication priorities in inter-agency initiatives and fora.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB - 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Political Sciences Social Sciences International Relations
Journalism Communications or other relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
Relevant Job Experience
Experience in humanitarian operations in a field environment.
Excellent knowledge of local institution, politics and culture.
Fund-raising and programming/programme management experience.
Experience of working with social media.
FR-Fundraising (incl. operations, programmes)
PG-Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards)
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
IT-Web Content Management
ER-Communications/media/digital/social media communicat. monitoring/analysis/presentation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L2 - Accountability Level 2
C002L2 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 - Communication Level 2
C004L2 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 - Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 - Organizational Awareness Level 2
M002L2 - Managing Performance Level 2
M006L2 - Managing Resources Level 2
X001L2 - Analytical Thinking Level 2
X002L2 - Innovation and Creativity Level 2
X007L2 - Political Awareness Level 2 <p>The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.</p>
See below for this postion's Operational Context
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).- Knowledge and experience of the Refugee Model Coordination mechanism. Ext Rel Officer in Tindouf is expected to support the coordination system such as organizing coordination meetings among other tasks;
- Experience in situations of politically sensitive operations. Saharawi refugee operation is in a very sensitive political environment where political process to resolve the self-determination and referendum has been blocked for many years.
- Knowledge and experience in UNHCR Visibility guidelines. Ext Rel Officer in Tindouf is expected to lead the design and implementation of visibility plan of UNHCR as well as donors¿ visibility requirements (e.g. ECHO);
- Ability and skill to provide high quality and timely reporting and give visibility to the Operation. Ext Rel Officer in Tindouf is expected to draft the inputs to the SMC and also design and draft all operational updates, factsheets and thematic updates that are intended to increase the visibility of the Operation. Ext Rel Officer is expected to directly support donor missions intended to increase visibility and support fundraising efforts. -The operation context for UNHCR activities in Tindouf is characterized by the protracted situation of the Sahrawi refugee community living in five camps near Tindouf.
-UNHCR continues to provide protection and undertake activities in care and maintenance to 90,000 most vulnerable Sahrawis living in five camps in the Tindouf region pending a durable solution to their plight. The Algerian Government and Sahrawi authorities are responsible for area security and management both in camps and the surrounding areas.
-Head of Sub-Office manages Tindouf Sub-Office, at which 34 staff are working, including 9 internationals.
-UNHCR, in coordination with WFP and the Sahrawi leadership, has launched a livelihoods initiative to establish the basis for sustainable income generating opportunities.
-The head of Sub Office should perform the lead coordination among UN agencies and humanitarian NGOs. Tindouf is a town located in the Tindouf Wilaya (sub-administrative unit) in the south-west of Algeria with an approximate population of 50,000. It is 1,700 km away from Algiers.
-Tindouf town is ¿E¿ category, security level 3 (moderate), and a non-family duty station;
-No recreational or leisure facility in Tindouf;
-Health facilities are limited in Tindouf;
-Local banking facilities available in Tindouf and you can open dollar account but there is no transfer services:
-Birth certificate required when opening bank account
-Credit card facilities not available:
-International Staff are renting houses/apartments for living;
-Climate is extreme hot and dry desert environment during summer and cold during winter
-Tindouf is connected to Algiers, the capital of Algeria, with nearly daily flights operated by Algerian Airlines. -Tindouf is security level 3 (moderate) duty station. There is an official curfew in place, usually starting from midnight until 0600 hrs. Tindouf is a military zone area. Daily escort is still applicable for going to the camps and the airport.
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this September 2020 Compendium is Tuesday 20 October 2020 (midnight Geneva time).