Senior Associate to lead development research projects in Ethiopia
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Laterite is a data, research, and technical advisory firm that helps clients understand and analyze complex development challenges. We work with universities, global think tanks, international NGOs, multilateral donor organizations, and government ministries and agencies. Laterite’s growing network of offices currently includes Rwanda, Ethiopia, Kenya, Uganda and the Netherlands. Our teams bring together more than 50 full time local and international staff in a dynamic work environment. We are proud to be a culturally diverse organization. Learn more: www.laterite.com
Laterite is looking for accomplished researchers with a track record of experience in project and team management, to join our offices in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia) and Nairobi (Kenya).
Job Description & Key Responsibilities
As a Senior Research Associate based in Ethiopia or in Kenya you will:
- Lead a portfolio of impactful research projects, from design to data collection, analysis and follow-through.
- Lead research teams to ensure we deliver value for our clients, using rigorous and innovative research methods.
- Build successful partnerships with our clients and establish Laterite as a trusted partner for public sector organizations.
- Mentor our growing research and data teams.
As part of Laterite's management team, you will have a voice in project selection, corporate strategy, process improvements, and structuring Laterite’s research agenda. You will serve as role model for the team, actively promoting our corporate culture, and helping us to grow and achieve our mission as an organization.
We are looking for an accomplished researcher who combines excellent technical skills with experience in project and team management. Our future colleague has:
- A postgraduate degree (Masters or above) in Economics, Econometrics, Development Research, or in one of Laterite’s core sectors
- Motivation to work in social and economic research in Sub-Saharan Africa
- 5+ years of research or project management experience in education, youth, public health, agriculture and/or urbanization.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and mentoring research teams
- Demonstrated experience in managing complex research projects, involving data collection and field teams.
Additionally, we are looking for:
- Solid project management skills to oversee a portfolio of projects at different stages in the research lifecycle
- An excellent networker with experience in building relationships with clients and stakeholders from the public and private sectors
- A self-motivated team leader with excellent interpersonal skills who thrives in a fast-paced environment where timelines can be unpredictable
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (in English)
- Proficiency in STATA is a must-have. Knowledge of R and/or Python is a plus.
We invite you to read our full job description (https://bit.ly/SRA-May2020) and complete our application form and submit your CV and a cover letter (maximum two-pages) describing your experience in leading teams of researchers in development research projects and how your profile matches the requirements for the role.
We will contact successful applicants to discuss next steps.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis, so we encourage you to apply ASAP.