Industrial Mechanical Draughtsman (EN-CV-DO-2020-119-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
The Engineering Department (EN) pushes back the limits of technology so that physicists can carry out their research. Within the cooling and ventilation (CV) group of the EN department, you will join the Design Office Section (DO), which is in charge of the creation of drawings, 3D models, bills of material for the different projects and works within the EN-CV group. Are you a qualified and proactive technician with experience in cooling and ventilation systems, willing to contribute to a unique working environment at the heart of one of the world's most complex and exciting scientific experiments? Then, this opportunity is for you - join the largest particle physics research laboratory in the world. CERN, take part!
As a Mechanical Draughtsman in the EN-CV-DO section, you will:
- Make preliminary or detailed technical design studies using a 3D computer-aided design (CAD) system for both new works and modifications to the cooling, ventilation, and industrial piping installations;
- Assist in compiling work description files based on project leaders’ specifications;
- Contribute in preparing technical specifications, market surveys, and call-for-tender documents;
- Check on-site that work carried out meets the specified requirements in close collaboration with CERN engineers and work supervisors;
- Contribute to calculations and measurements for ventilation and industrial piping systems with the support of CERN design engineers.
Higher technical diploma in the field of mechanics or electro-mechanics or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in carrying out design studies for cooling and ventilation systems, and in particular in the design of industrial piping installations;
- Experience in the use of CAD tools; demonstrated experience in Revit would be an asset;
- Experience in carrying out quantity estimates.
- Integration of mechanical systems;
- Production of 2D drawings and 3D models;
- Design and construction of cooling water systems;
- Design and construction of piping networks;
- Design and construction of HVAC plants and networks.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; adopting a pragmatic approach; understanding the value of adopting generic rather than 'gold -plated' technical solutions.
- Communicating effectively: providing others with timely information; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical specifications and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages and an undertaking to acquire the other rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 29.10.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EN-CV-DO-2020-119-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Mechanical Technician