Business Support Roster - Applications
The United Nations World Food Programme saves lives in emergencies and changes the lives of millions of people around the world. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger by 2030. Every day, WFP works to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need to thrive.
What is WFP looking for?
WFP is a high-performance driven organisation. The work environment is a diverse, dynamic, challenging and satisfying one in which to further expand your career. The Business Support Function at WFP is an essential part of the organisation, and is a function which provides valued assistance to the programmes many different divisions (including Human Resources, Programme & Policy, Supply Chain, Finance, Travel, Partnerships, Communications and Operations). Candidates must demonstrate flexibility, an ability to pick up new tasks and procedures quickly, possess a proactive attitude and be able to handle competing deadlines. Candidates are expected to produce work of a high standard.
We are seeking qualified applicants to our roster for Business Support roles based in our Headquarters in Rome, Italy. WFP recruits local administrative staff for short term assignments at the entry levels of the General Service category. The duration of the short term assignment may vary from 1 to 11 months.
Applications are open to:
- Italian nationals: with a valid passport or identity card;
- EU citizens: with a valid passport or identity card AND confirmation of registration from the Italian police authorities or Registrar’s Office (Anagrafe);
- Non-EU citizens: a valid Italian Resident Permit (renewal slips will not be accepted).
For more information on Italian protocol requirements, please refer to
- Collect, sort and disseminate correspondence, reports and other materials, to meet the required demands of staff to time standards.
- Respond to simple routine queries with readily available support by senior staff, and escalate where appropriate, in order to provide a timely and accurate response to enquiries.
- Support the maintenance of office files, documents and records in accordance with established systems and processes, so that information is current and readily available for staff.
- Undertake standard data entry tasks in accordance with defined systems, to ensure information is organised and readily available.
- Assist in creating simple images or information using standardised templates, such as graphs or tables to support the drafting of reports for staff.
- At least two years of relevant business support / administrative work experience – each employment record in the CV should contain a detailed description of the duties performed
We will only consider proper business support experience, work experience similar to the below will not be considered relevant:
- Managerial or consultant experience
- Marketing, Retail, Sales experience
- Teaching and/or Interpreter, Translator experience
- Internships within the UN system
Knowledge & Skills:
- Ability to use standard office equipment.
- Ability to follow standard business support processes and procedures.
- Knowledge of standard office software packages, e.g. Microsoft word, Excel, PowerPoint. Computer knowledge and skills should be recorded under the CV.
- Ability to handle a large volume of work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
- Courtesy, tact and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds in a team environment.
- Fluency in oral and written English
- Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP's working languages) highly desirable
- Completion of secondary school education.
- Reside within the Rome commuting area at the time of application
In addition to the above, we are looking for candidates that stand out from the crowd, who have personal qualities to bring to the organisation which complement and enhance our dynamic and multicultural work environment. The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Client Orientation & Team Work
- Cultural Sensitivity
- Action Management
Attention to detail
The Business Support Roster is a list of qualified candidates who are available for assignments at WFP Headquarters, Rome, Italy. Contract duration is up to a maximum of 11 months after which candidates can receive further contracts after having served a break of at least one month from the organisation.
Candidates must be local (ie: within commuting distance of WFP HQ - Rome, Italy) at the time of application.
Succesful candidates who move forward to the next stage in the application process will be invited for the assessment stage and for an English language exam.
Only candidates who have the profile that WFP is looking for will be contacted to move forward in the selection process.
Inclusion on the roster is for a two year period after which candidates need to re-register their interest in order to be re-included.
31 December 2020
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.