Communications Officer (IPT-DI-2020-118-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
We are looking for an innovative thinker to support internal and external communication strategies that further CERN’s mission by highlighting the impact of scientific and technological research on society.
You will be providing communication activities for IdeaSquare at CERN (https://ideasquare.cern/) and its European funded projects ATTRACT (https://attract-eu.com/) and CROWD4SDG (http://www.crowd4sdg.eu/), as well as for the Education, Communications and Outreach Group in the International Relations sector.
Join #CERN and be part of this ongoing dialogue between scientists and the public. Take part!
You will be responsible for developing and delivering communication strategies and activities with a focus on linking science, technology and society. In particular, you will:
- Respond to daily operation and strategic communication needs and goals related to Innovation Laboratories and Makerspaces;
- With special emphasis on IdeaSquare, produce and share news and communication material using different media channels, related to European Union-funded projects;
- Interact with scientists, students and external partner organizations to help create wider communication networks for outreach purposes, including those related to European Union-funded projects;
- Curate and organise large communication and outreach events (with up to 700 participants);
- Develop and coordinate communication plans, activities and their monitoring, especially related to European Union-funded projects;
- Operationalise CERN’s participation in public engagement initiatives in CERN Member States and beyond, aligned with CERN’s communications strategy.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of communication, science communication or social innovation or a related field.
Demonstrated experience in the following fields:
- Communication and outreach in large, complex international fundamental research projects, having connections with related technology and societal challenges;
- The organization and management of large communication and outreach events, including Innovation Laboratories and Makerspaces;
- The daily operation and strategic communication needs and goals of Innovation Laboratories and Makerspaces.
Desired experience in:
- The organization of the communication plans, activities and their monitoring related to European funded projects;
- Interacting with scientists, students and social international organizations.
- Strategic communications planning;
- Internal communications (newsletters, project news etc.);
- Science communications;
- Media relations;
- Social media.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions; selecting the appropriate medium and forum to communicate.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations.
- Demonstrating accountability: treating others fairly and equally; working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; making appropriate use of the Organization's resources.
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft texts for publications and/or official communications and to make oral presentations in both languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.11.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (1 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: IPT-DI-2020-118-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Communications/Public Relations /External Relations Professional