IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Finance Division recommends and administers financial policies and procedures that meet the highest professional standards; keeps accounts that accurately record financial activities and meet the requirements of internal and external audits; prepares reports to accurately portray the financial status of the Organization and its activities; ensures that the Organization's financial resources are securely kept and productively employed while in FAO's custody; oversees financial operations wherever performed in the Organization; and ensures that all disbursements are timely and made in accordance with established policies and procedures.
The post is located in the Treasury and Investments Unit, which manages the Organization's liquidity, foreign exchange operations as well as providing oversight to externally management investment portfolios.
The Senior Finance Officer reports to Deputy Director of Finance and Treasurer.
The Senior Finance Officer is responsible for the management of the daily activities of the Treasury and Investments Unit.
The planning and management of major financial service areas including Investments, Operations, and cross-Division Coordination and Secretariat Services to support the effective management of FAO resources and safeguard the Organization's assets in accordance with internal policies, UN financial guidelines and International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS).
• Plans and manages Finance Division service teams, leads and/or coordinates specialized financial activities, provides leadership/secretariat services to the Finance Committee, leads and/or participates on Organization-wide committees or working groups, and/or supervises staff.
• Develops operational/work plans and oversees and/or coordinates financial service areas and related activities, monitors risks, investments and/or financial controls and ensures compliance with FAO policies and regulatory framework.
• Directs the development and updating of the supporting operational, policy, accounting, control and/or risk management frameworks, involving the latest approaches and methodologies, streamlined business processes, new/revised financial policies, and related tools, systems, technologies and related procedures.
• Directs the preparation/review/analysis of statutory and/or management reports, financial statements, reports to donors as well as specific reports for Governing Bodies, donors and other partners.
• Analyzes complex financial/investment/risk related issues and provides financial advice and assistance to managers at HQ, the Decentralized Offices, the Finance Committee and/or Governing Bodies etc.
• Represents FAO and develops consensus on financial matters with banks, other financial institutions, donors, partners, and UN financial executives and provides information/clarification to auditors.
• Promotes best practices and capacity development at HQ and the Decentralized Offices and leads and/or participates in related training.
• Organizes the selection, implementation and oversight of external asset managers, custodians and other financial service providers. Negotiates investment manager agreements and detailed guidelines
• Maintains relationships with asset managers and custodians and provides oversight on compliance, performance and risk measurements
• Reports regularly to the internal Investment Committee on the status of investments and any issues of concern. Conducts investment analyses as required to enable the Investment Committee to make sound decisions
• Organizes the meetings of the Advisory Committee on Investments
• Manages the day-to-day cash flow of the Organization, ensuring proper liquidity in FAO's principal operating currencies
• Oversees foreign exchange trading operations for both treasury activities and replenishments to FAO's decentralized office structure
• Manages FAO's financial risk profile including all relevant exposures to markets, foreign exchange, credit, counterparty, settlement and liquidity risk resulting from Treasury activities
• Establishes and ensures adherence to approve operational procedures, recommending any required changes to Senior Management and the Investment Committee as required.
• Plans and manages the activities of the Treasury and Investments Unit, including supervision of the Unit's staff.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in finance, business administration or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with a professional qualification from a recognized professional institution (CFA, CCM, CA, CPA) may be accepted in lieu of an advanced degree.
• Ten years of relevant experience in finance, investments or treasury management
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering Others
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Extent and relevance of experience in treasury management including asset/liability management, investments, cash management, banking, payments and foreign exchange
• Extent and relevance of experience with electronic banking/trading platforms, ERP systems
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential