IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Regional Office for REU is responsible for leading FAO's response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. REU also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. REU develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The post is located in the Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia in Budapest, Hungary.
The Senior Field Programme Officer reports to the Regional Programme Leader for Europe and Central Asia (RPL).
Leadership of results-based field programme management, implementation and coordination throughout the region; regional resource mobilization efforts supports; operational support and capacity building to budget holders/project formulators and operators throughout the region; field project/programme implementation as Budget Holder; project cycle management, forecasting, monitoring and reporting on results
Leadership and technical expertise for the planning, development and implementation of Programmes of work, projects, related-products, and services in accordance with FAO Strategic Objectives.
• Leads the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects; directs review of relevant documents and reports; identifies priorities, problems and issues to be addressed and proposes corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and initiates follow-up actions;
• Coordinates programmes and reviews the assessments of issues and trends for the implementation of programmes and projects and the preparation of impact evaluation or equivalent studies;
• Supervises preparation of various written outputs, e.g. background papers, analysis, substantial sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications;
• Directs substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences, to include proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, preparation of documents and presentations;
• Manages outreach activities; designs and conducts training workshops, seminars, makes presentations on assigned topics/activities;
• Leads field missions, including provision of guidance to external consultants, government officials and other parties;
• Represents the Organization at international meetings and conferences, identifies and implements strategic partnerships, advocates best practices and increased dialogue and develops and negotiates effective working relationships/consensus and agreements with international and national stakeholders.
• Leads and supervises the Regional Field Programme Team for the development, management and coordination of the field programme throughout the region, and especially in countries with no FAO presence, towards the achievement of regional/country results and impacts contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals;
• Manages and supervises (as Budget Holder) the implementation of regional projects and country projects in absence of FAOR as adequate;
• Supports countries in projects operational management including daily support in project management and implementation of FAO policies and procedures as well as assessment and strengthening of country offices capacities for project implementation;
• Oversees FAO project cycle for all projects of the region, ensuring results-based focus and adherence to FAO procedures and processes;
• Ensures clearance of proposals and carries out a project/programme appraisal and review process through a regional Programme and Project Review Committee, as well as through technical and operational reviews and clearances;
• Ensures proactive monitoring of the region's delivery and project implementation, supporting early action to address critical situations;
• Ensures timely operational closure of all projects/programmes in the region and submission of requests for financial closure;
• Organizes briefings, delivers capacity development trainings for project formulators and operators in the region on corporate policies and procedures defined in the Guide to the Project Cycle and other corporate guidance related to programme/project operations;
• Provides functional guidance to the subregional Field Programme Support and Monitoring Officers, and ensures that these officers have adequate capacity and knowledge to respond effectively as the first port of call for the Country Office teams;
• Supervises the management of the Technical Cooperation Programme (TCP) in the region and the work of the resource mobilization, south-south cooperation and partnership team in supporting the country offices;
• Collaborates with other REU functional units in addressing country offices functional and management issues, making proposals for improving processes and procedures and strengthening capacities thereof;
• Collaborates with Regional Initiative Delivery Managers on the development, implementation and monitoring of the Regional Programmes/Initiatives under the Strategic Framework;
• Supervises and monitors the performance of assigned staff and supports capacity development of the team;
• Measures, monitors and reports on the implementation of the field programme in countries and region, and provides forecasts and trend analysis to management to support strategy development.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in economics, business administration, management or related fields of the FAO mandate
• Ten years of relevant experience in results based project/programme planning, implementation, and monitoring systems/appraisal
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Leading, Engaging and Empowering
• Partnering and Advocating
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Strategic Thinking
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is essential
• Extent and relevance of experience in programme/project management, in the management/operation of small-, medium and/or large-scale projects at country and regional levels, including in-depth knowledge of related administrative, operational and financial procedures
• Extent and relevance of experience and skills in project identification, programme and project formulation, analysis, planning and implementation
• Extent and experience in contributing to the UN Reform in operational issues is considered a strong asset
• Extent and experience in integrating regional technical commissions into the project cycle is considered a strong asset
• Level of knowledge of results-based management methods and experience in their application
• Knowledge of field programme issues in the REU Region is considered a strong asset
• Working knowledge of Russian is considered a strong asset