IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Digital and Information Technology Service Division (CSI) is responsible for IT activities within the Organization. CSI performs on behalf of the Organization the following critical roles: defining FAO IT policies and providing strategic advice on IT architecture and standards, governance, policy and operational matters while monitoring organizational compliance; defining the mechanisms for managing FAO's information and data; protecting FAO's information assets and ensuring confidentiality, integrity and availability; ensuring provision of IT services that are core for the Organization's global operations and supporting the information and business processes; coordinating organization-wide IT activities in order to reduce duplication and fragmentation and to increase integration of information data, systems and platforms, mobilizing IT resources from across the Organization.
The Information Technology Officer position is situated within the within the CSI team which leads the planning, development and implementation of digital solutions utilized to facilitate the substantive work of the Organization and support the achievement of the the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Information Technology Officer reports to the Senior Information Technology Officer for Technical Applications under the overall supervision of the CSI Director
The Information Technology Officer is responsible for the delivery and management of digital solutions, services and digital public goods that support the organization in accomplishing the technical programme at the global and country level, providing comprehensive technical and management expertise to support the planning, development and implementation of digital solutions that that meet defined requirements.
Planning, management and delivery of projects and activities to ensure that the Organization's requirements for Information Systems (IS) and Information and Communications Technology (ICT) are effectively met.
• Manages the assigned programme of work, ensuring its consistency with the overall strategic vision and enterprise architecture, that it meets the Organization's priorities, and that issues resulting from interdependencies/gaps are addressed and resolved as needed;
• Negotiates Service Level Agreements for provision of IT products and/or services;
• Promotes service improvement programs and initiatives to ensure the Division is well placed to challenge the existing business needs and introduces change to create improvement opportunities;
• Monitors, audits and reports on service performance to foresee, identifies and addresses areas of risk, and ensures compliance with agreed service level expectations;
• Manages the complete ICT product, technology, system or application life cycle: (a) business needs; (b) requirements definition; (c) ICT solution options (business case and project proposal); (d) IT solution design; (e) implementation and testing; (f) deployment; (g) documentation; (h) support and maintenance, according with CSI's policy, standards, and procedures;
• Identifies, assesses and manages ICT operational risks, proposing mitigation activities and submitting ICT risk information;
• Identifies areas for beneficial cross-areas sharing and collaboration on information systems, information technology or IT products and services by working with the CSI core teams and other Information Technology Officers;
• Identifies resource requirements, develops budgets and work plans, and advocates for additional human resources.
• Manages agile software development teams and contractors working remotely from locations around the world.
• Implements mechanisms to monitor, manage and provide progress on software development activities.
• Provides direction and oversight on mobile app, geospatial, data engineering/analytics and cloud technologies.
• Supply related Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and Cloud DevOps services.
• Contributes to the mainstreaming of digital innovation.
• Manages the complete ICT product, technology, system or application life cycle: (a) business needs; (b) requirements definition; (c) ICT solution options (business case and project proposal); (d) IT solution design; (e) implementation and testing; (f) deployment; (g) documentation; and (h) support and maintenance, according with CSI's policy, standards and procedures;
• Prepares project proposals, acts as a project manager and a technical leader in IT application projects.
• Provides technical oversight, guidance and team mentoring.
• Hands on software development and troubleshooting as needed.
• Manages human and financial resource including preparing and reporting on budgets and plans.
• Identifies opportunities for synergies, digital innovation and efficiency and promotes continuous IT service improvement
• Coordinates the adoption of innovative technologies, tools and approaches in the delivery of digital solutions.
• Contributes to the Organizational IT Application Development Strategy
• Leads technical teams for IT application development for mobile devices and technical applications.
• Manages the Software Development Life Cycle tools, assets and related documentation.
• Contributes to cloud migration of the Organization's legacy IT software, platforms or systems;
• Contributes to the Organization's digitalization and modernization specifically including geospatial, digital public goods for agricultural digitalization;
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Information Systems, Software Engineering, Electric or Electronic Engineering, Mathematics, Statistics, or a related field
• Seven years of relevant experience delivering digital and information technology solutions and services.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in developing complex business cases, benefit/cost analysis, project briefs and requirements documentation related to ICT solutions
• Extent and relevance of experience in process mapping and business process reengineering in the area of corporate IT technology and solutions
• Knowledge of Software Engineering, SDLC and DevOps
• Extent and relevance of experience in managing software development projects and multicultural multilocation IT teams.
• Knowledge of and experience in Development of Mobile Apps, Data engineering and analytics, Geospatial IT and implementation of related technologies, Cloud technologies.