Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
FAO's Subregional Office for SEC is responsible for developing, promoting, overseeing and implementing agreed strategies for addressing subregional food, agriculture and rural development priorities. It develops and maintains relations with subregion-wide institutions including Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs). The Subregional Office is a subsidiary of FAO's Regional Office for SEC.
The Meeting Programming and Documentation Service (SEC)
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative and/or Sub-regional Coordinator for Central Asia (FAOSEC), the subscriber works in close collaboration with respective Technical Officers, and FAO-SEC support services (Operations Unit and/or Administration Department) as required.
Interpret and translate from to non-FAO Languages a variety of project-related documents and workshops.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide written translations (English-Russian-English; Russian-Local-Russian;etc), project proposals a wide variety of texts dealing with agriculture and related subjects as well as administrative, financial and legal matters, from Russian-English and vice versa, and from English official local language of the country (Turkish, Tajik, Turkmen, Uzbek, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Azeri) and vice-versa.
- Provide high quality translations within deadlines set, ensuring the adequate use of relevant terminology, in the areas of FAO mandate namely: agricultural production, land and water (irrigation), plant production and protection, rural development, food security, food safety, rural development, agricultural investment, forestry, fishery, livestock production, and animal health;
- As a self-revising translator, the incumbent must produce concise and accurate translations in an appropriate style, which will not be subject to further review;
- Provide consecutive and/or simultaneous interpretation services during project workshops,.
- Perform other related duties as required.
The languages of the Organization are Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian and Spanish
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Linguistic Studies or Translation and/or diploma from an internationally recognized interpreter/translator school specialising in one of the following official languages of the United Nations: English or Russian
- Three years of relevant experience in simultaneous and consecutive interpretation and translation
- Excellent writing, editing, and oral communication skills
- Skills and experience in consecutive and simultaneous interpretation from/into English, Russian or any other official language of the United Nations, as well as from/into the official language of the country is an asset;
- Fluency in spoken and written Russian and English and/or the official language of the country
- Excellent knowledge of one of the Organization’s languages, which should be the candidate’s mother tongue, and working knowledge of at least two other languages of the Organization
- Advanced computer skills and word processing (MS Office and other office equipment); advanced user of translation/interpretation software and equipment.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of experience in supporting translation services of international organizations.
- Familiarity with the FAO documentation, terminology and the reference work.
- Familiarity with terminology research work.
- Advance computer skills and word processing (MS Office and other office equipment).
- Be able to produce results with rigid deadlines
- Professional experience in providing translation services to international organization (written, oral)
- Candidates will be assessed against the requirements listed above.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency