Carry out routine and specialized laboratory investigations for the diagnosis, treatment, and control of diseases.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect, receive, evaluate and process various biological specimen for analysis.
- Perform laboratory tests accurately and in a timely manner to produce reliable test results.
- Review and verify test results, confirm panic values and abnormal results before release to clinicians.
- Maintain and keep updated records of all laboratory samples and results transported collected, investigations and procedures performed, and results generated and delivered.
- Correctly operate equipment/instruments, perform routine function checks, troubleshoot if unacceptable and document corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from established specifications.
- Maintain a safe and tidy work area and follow safety procedures.
- Adhere to the laboratory’s quality control policies and document procedural calibrations and maintenance activities.
- Participate in External Quality Assessment schemes and ensure proficiency test panels are handled in the same manner as routine (patient) samples.
- Order supplies, update stock cards and maintain an inventory of all equipment and reagents.
- Promptly report and document all laboratory-related accidents (injuries and exposures) and unsafe conditions to the immediate supervisor.
- Participate in laboratory departmental meetings, trainings, supervisions, orientations and audits as may be required. Undertake such work as permitted to you effectively and efficiently, in compliance with approved guidelines.
- Work flexible hours according to the laboratory requirements, as decided by management.
- Effectively communicate in a friendly, helpful and non-prejudicial manner in your dealings with laboratory customers.
- Observe privacy and maintain confidentiality on matters pertaining to patients and staff and must only be discussed in the course of your duty.