Pretoria (South Africa)
Terms of Reference for epidemiologist for COVID-19 response in South Africa
To provide support to the COVID-19 response team at the WHO Country office on general and partners coordination.
Objective of the Programme:
The COVID-19 in South Africa is unprecedented in size, geographic spread and number of lives lost. At the same time, its scale and complexity are placing enormous demands on the health system. The country consisting of 9 provinces where WHO country office will be supporting means that coordination of teams is needed and support with logistics and field operations including supplies need to be monitored.
Coordination is one of the pillars of the COVID-19 response. This together with good communication with teams and with partners is important. The WHO Country Office in South Africa, is seeking to employ on a temporary basis for a period of three months only, a person with relevant experience.
Under the supervision of the WHO Country Office the following activities will be conducted:
Summary of the work
The scope of the work will include working with the provincial l and district response team for COVID-19 to:
• Provide technical expertise to guide implementing of surveillance and investigation on respiratory infectious disease specific
• Support the province and district to on case investigation, field assessments and surveillance in field as needed
• Ensure that contact tracing is effectively done
• Regular share updated surveillance data
• Assist in data collation and analysis at district and provincial level
• Work with the team on reporting requirements, information system and data management needs, type and frequency of data analysis, and design as needed.
• Guide and contribute to the development and release of sitreps and reports
• Assist to disseminate and orientate teams on relevant national guidelines and SOPs
• Participate in capacity building efforts at provincial and district level
• Whenever needed guide the province on preparing response plans
Competencies (Min 3 Max 5)
1. Communicating in a credible and effective way
2. Producing results
3. Fostering integration and teamwork
4. Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Education and special training
MB CHB/ Postgraduate qualifications in epidemiology and surveillance will be and added advantage.
Experience (length and type)
Extensive experience (minimum of at 5 years) in epidemiology, surveillance, data analysis, mapping and reporting and in establishing relationships with Government and partners at provincial level.
Knowledge, abilities and skills
Proven knowledge and skills in: epidemiology, surveillance, data analysis, mapping and reporting; strong organizational skills; and an ability to work effectively in multicultural environment with tact and diplomacy. Knowledge of WHO, the UN System or NGO work in the field of response relief and/or of their practices and procedures.
English: English and one language spoken in the province.