National Associate Project Officer
Post Number : 4UZED0005PA
Grade : NO-B
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Tashkent
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year renewable (subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds)
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 06-NOV-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Only nationals of Uzbekistan may apply for this position
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
With the assistance of UNESCO and the European Union, the Government of Uzbekistan will be implementing the project “Skills Development for the Employability in Rural Areas of Uzbekistan”, recognizing the agriculture skills development as a driver of social and economic development. The overall objective of this project is to enhance living standards in rural areas through better employability for women and men, and the specific objective is to prepare women and men with relevant skills for the needs of a sustainable, diversified and modernized agriculture. The activities of the project will contribute to the following results: (i) to modernize and strengthen governance of skills development in the agriculture and irrigation sectors in line with the labour market demands; (ii) to modernize qualifications and methodologies of skills development to serve the needs of the labour market, learners and workers in the agriculture and irrigation; and (iii) to modernize agriculture and irrigation colleges in rural areas with competent management and teaching staff using modern technologies and teaching and learning methods.
In particular, the project will target development of relevant skills of women and men for sustainable, diversified and modernised agriculture in Uzbekistan. It will also contribute to improving the quality, relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the skills development system in the agriculture and irrigation sectors, initiated by the Government of Uzbekistan, with a particular focus on the rural regions selected by the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Water Resources (Karakalpakstan, Khorazm, Bukhara, Surkhondaryo). This project will help the Government to develop, to test and to pilot new initiatives and approaches in the agriculture and irrigation sectors with a view to scaling up transversal methods, high technology agriculture and food processing, and innovative approaches throughout the country.Long Description
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director General of Education, guidance from the Head of the UNESCO Tashkent Office and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Officer, the incumbent shall contribute in the implementation of the project “Skills Development for the Employability in Rural Areas of Uzbekistan”, in particular, the incumbent shall:
- Planning, developing and implementing project activities within the project timeframe and in consultation with the project team;
- Contribute to the recruitment of the national and international consultants, experts and other service providers;
- Contribute to and engage with national stakeholders in the quality design and delivery of trainings in the development of the qualifications in agriculture and irrigation with the focus on green skills, work-based learning, new high tech agriculture skills and environmental awareness by working closely with the national and local government training institutions and experts;
- Maintain close collaboration with the relevant national stakeholders and engage them in the development and piloting demand-driven qualifications, and methodologies of skills in agriculture and irrigation;
- Contribute to the design and piloting extension services for agriculture and irrigation colleges to meet the needs of local agriculture and irrigation sectors and the value chain of enterprises;
- Facilitate and contribute in research and analytical works of the project through field missions to diagnose and to assess the needs of the status of teaching, training and learning at agriculture and irrigation colleges in four priority rural regions and develop teaching and training materials and modernize equipment and facilities (Karakalpakstan, Khorazm, Bukhara, Surkhondaryo);
- Collaborate in designing the innovative grass-roots initiatives targeting rural population and vulnerable groups in four priority rural regions to support their access to employment, entrepreneurship and self-employment;
- Ensure establishment, management and monitoring of contracts and relationships with multiple implementing partners/consultants/contractors covering the range of expertise required to successfully implement the activities, in compliance with the rules and regulations of UNESCO;
- Contribute to developing periodic project reports, briefings, as well as implementation of the project’s Communication and Visibility Plan;
- Ensure project information and data collection, and facilitate knowledge-sharing amongst stakeholders, including with local authorities and communities, and NGOs;
- Undertake missions as necessary and requested for the project implementation in Uzbekistan.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) in the field of education, social sciences, agriculture, water management or other relevant field.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience in the field of education, agriculture and irrigation sector skills development.
- Work experience in Technical Vocational Education and Training (TVET).
Skills and competencies
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Good knowledge of results-based and budget management tools;
- Ability to work under pressure, manage heavy workloads and meet tight deadlines, paying close attention to details and quality of work;
- Strong IT skills including good knowledge of standard office software;
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills;
- In-depths understanding of the local context, especially priorities of agriculture sector;
- Excellent project implementation skills;
- Ability to work as part of an international team in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge English (written and oral) and good knowledge of Uzbek languages.
- Specialization in technical and vocational education and training, skills development, agricultural development and/or labor market and employment.
- Experience in EU funded project implementation;
- Experience in skills development in Agriculture or Irrigation sector.
- Familiarity with the administrative procedures of UN preferably UNESCO;
- Knowledge of UNESCO’s mission and the Education Sector’s Programme;
- Excellent knowledge of the current context in Uzbekistan, with particular focus on: education sector planning, TVET, Agriculture and Irrigation sector development, economic development, livelihoods, local governance and youth development.
- Ability to engage and form effective working relationships with counterparts and colleagues;
- Ability to work in a complex, rural and remote areas;
- Excellent communication and training facilitation skills in Uzbek, English and Russian languages.
- Knowledge of Russian.
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For more information in benefits and entitlements, please consult ICSC website.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.