Infrastructure Engineer (EP-ADO-PO-2020-121-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you an infrastructure engineer who has large field experience and wish to discover a domain where excellence is the key driving factor? Do you have experience in large infrastructure design, operation and maintenance? Do you have experience in leading infrastructure construction projects in industrial premises or large experiment? Then use your skills and experience in the upgrade of the ATLAS experiment at CERN in a unique environment hosting the world's largest particle accelerator. CERN, Take Part!
You will join:
- The Experimental Physics (EP) Department which carries out basic research in the field of experimental physics. It aims at providing a stimulating scientific atmosphere and remains an important reference centre for the European physics community. It contributes to the education and training of young scientists.
- The ATLAS experiment in the (ADO) Group.
- The Project Office (PO) Section, a section of the CERN ATLAS Team in the ATLAS experiment, which is in charge of operating, maintaining and upgrading the mechanical and electrical (infra-) structure of the ATLAS experiment and detectors.
As infrastructure engineer in the Detector Operation (ADO) group, you will be overseeing the activities related to the upgrade of the technical infrastructures for the ATLAS detector needed to successfully exploit the High-Luminosity LHC era. Most of the large infrastructures, including electrical distribution, cooling and ventilation, detector cooling, gas distributions, will have to be upgraded. You will play a leading role in the definition/design of these upgrades and in the execution of the projects. Moreover, you will also organise and oversee the operations and the yearly maintenance of the present infrastructures in close relation with the Operation Manager of the ATLAS experiment.
In particular you will:
- Define the needs for the upgrade of the electrical distribution of the experiment, in collaboration with engineers of the CERN technical departments; follow the construction, test and commissioning of these new systems.
- Liaise with the CERN electrical engineering group to organise corrective and preventive maintenance on the electrical circuits and electrical distribution.
- Act as project leader (PL) for the construction of a new building hosting the primary cooling system for the new inner detector system. As PL you will interact with all the different stakeholders in the project: in particular the cooling and ventilation section, the electrical distribution section of the Engineering Department at CERN, the civil engineering section of the Site Management and Buildings department at CERN, and in general with all the other needed services, to make sure that all the requirements of the ATLAS experiment are fulfilled and to bring forward the project in a coherent and organized way.
- Follow-up on the operation as well as coordination and supervision of maintenance of the existing electrical infrastructure of the ATLAS experiment.
Master's degree or equivalent relevant experience in the field of electrical, electro-mechanical or a related field.
- Extensive experience in managing projects in the field of electrical power distribution.
- Extensive experience in follow-up of civil engineering and construction of industrial buildings.
- Proven experience in the integration and installation work of electromechanical system.
- Proven experience in management and supervision of large infrastructure upgrade projects.
- Proven experience in coordinating external companies and contractors.
- Organisation, planning and control, including supervision of work.
- Operation and maintenance of electrical circuits and networks.
- Maintenance management.
- Knowledge of building construction, consolidation and renovation.
- Construction, test and commissioning of electrical circuits and networks.
- Demonstrating accountability: taking responsibility for own actions and decisions.
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Solving problems: finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available.
- Building relationships
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- English: spoken and written, with the ability to draw-up technical specifications and/or scientific reports and to make oral presentations.
- French: ability to understand and speak the language in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 04.11.2020.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: EP-ADO-PO-2020-121-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Electromechanical Engineer