Country Director - Syria
The Country Director is responsible for developing the overall strategic direction for programming in cooperation with TGH senior management team and local partners (SARC). She/He is responsible for developing and implementing systems, policies and procedures for TGH operations in Syria. The Country Director is responsible for financial oversight, staff security, human resource management and representation.
The main responsibilities include:
General supervision of the mission:
- Represent TGH in Syria, in particular with SARC, national authorities, donors, humanitarian coordination mechanisms, UN agencies and other INGOs
- Ensure compliance with Syrian laws, procedures and regulations applicable to the INGOs working in the country
- Ensure an appropriate level of visibility of the organisation with SARC, as well as with donor representatives in the country
- Monitor and analyze the political, humanitarian and socio-economic context
- Based on this analysis and in collaboration with the Headquarters, establish the mission’s strategy, the identification of funding opportunities, and the design of new projects
- Ensure efficient internal coordination at mission level and with HQ
- Ensure overall coordination, follow-up and quality of new projects for all operational bases.
- Brief and support the Administrative and Finance Coordinator, Logistic Coordinator, Wash and Shelter Program Coordinator, Education and Protection Coordinator and Grant and MEAL Manager in the implementation and follow-up of their duties
- Coordinate the production of quality and timely donor reports (narrative and financial)
- In coordination with the HQ-based Programing and Development and technical advisers, identify and actively pursue new funding opportunities
- Coordinate and/or conduct technical assessment with SARC
- Monitor the Syria contexts and maintain regular communication with HQ
- Oversee the regular updating of the mission’s security, evacuation and medical plans
- Ensure in particular that internal guidelines on field trips are regularly reviewed, adapted to the context and strictly enforced
- Ensure that TGH is fully included in the existing security information and coordination mechanisms, such as the UN (UNDSS) or INSO
- Manage security incidents and crises, in coordination with HQ
Human resources and support departments
- Plan and participate in the recruitment of expatriate staff
- Ensure performance management for staff under direct supervision according to the internal guidelines
- Ensure the full respect of TGH’s administrative, financial and logistics procedures
- Supervise the implementation and periodic review of TGH’s national HR policy and strategy, in collaboration with the Administrative Coordinator and the HQ-based HR department
This list of responsibilities could be modified according to the needs.
Security, working and living conditions
The current volatile and unpredictable context in Syria requires strict security rules in terms of movements and transmission of information / communication with the Headquarters.
Working and living conditions in Damascus are good. Communication means are satisfying (efficient internet, international phones).
Traveling outside of Damascus requires a travel permit delivered by SARC and Syrian MoFA.
- At least 3 years of experience with an humanitarian NGO including at least 1 year in a coordination position
- Good knowledge of the humanitarian environment (NGOs, UN, main donors)
- Good communication and writing skills in English and French
- Proven ability to fundraise and write project proposals
- Proven ability to develop a mission (mission opening and development to other location and sectors if needed)
- Experience in project management
- Good security management skills, experience in challenging security environments
- Good knowledge of MS Office pack. Knowledge on SAGA software will be positively considered
- Good knowledge of accounting / financial management / logistics in a NGO context
- Good organizational and planning skills
- Experience of Arabic or Muslim countries and knowledge or Arabic language is a distinct advantage
- Sense of humor
Please send your resume and cover letter on our Website’s HR page to the attention of Amandine Ruinart, Human Resources Officer: