Communication and Outreach Officer
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Tashkent
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 5
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 06-NOV-2020
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, ProfessionalismOVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
With the assistance of UNESCO and the European Union, the Government of Uzbekistan will be implementing the project “Skills Development for the Employability in Rural Areas of Uzbekistan”, recognizing the agriculture skills development as a driver of social and economic development. The overall objective of this project is to enhance living standards in rural areas through better employability for women and men, and the specific objective is to prepare women and men with relevant skills for the needs of a sustainable, diversified and modernized agriculture. The activities of the project will contribute to the following results: (i) to modernize and strengthen governance of skills development in the agriculture and irrigation sectors in line with the labour market demands; (ii) to modernize qualifications and methodologies of skills development to serve the needs of the labour market, learners and workers in the agriculture and irrigation; and (iii) to modernize agriculture and irrigation colleges in rural areas with competent management and teaching staff using modern technologies and teaching and learning methods.
In particular, project will target development of relevant skills of women and men for sustainable, diversified and modernised agriculture in Uzbekistan. In addition, it will also contribute to improving the quality, relevance, efficiency and effectiveness of the skills development system in the agriculture and irrigation sectors, initiated by the Government of Uzbekistan, with a particular focus on the rural regions selected by the Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Water Resources (Karakalpakstan, Khorazm, Bukhara, Surkhondaryo). It will help the Government to develop, to test and to pilot new initiatives and approaches in the agriculture and irrigation sectors with a view to scaling up transversal methods, high technology agriculture and food processing, and innovative approaches throughout the country.Detailed tasks decription
Under the overall authority of the Head of the UNESCO Tashkent Office and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Officer, the Communication and Outreach Officer shall ensure implementation of the Communication and Visibility Plan of the project and assure that all activities including the outreach and awareness-raising activities adhere to and are fully aligned with the visibility requirements. This includes the following functions, but not limited to:
- Ensure awareness-raising among the population in Uzbekistan of the impact of UNESCO and the EU in supporting vocational education reforms, skills development, sustainable economic growth and employability of women and men in rural areas;
- Promote the impact of vocational education in fostering employment and lifelong learning opportunities for youth, in particular girls and women, in the agriculture and irrigation sectors;
- Develop and implement awareness-raising and branding campaign on training and jobs in agriculture and irrigation, including the organization of gender sensitive career guidance and counselling activities;
- Identify, prepare and disseminate related contents and results of awareness-raising and branding campaign including gender sensitive career guidance and counselling activities; Ensure design and production of project promotional items, including information packages, press-releases, infographics and one-pager;
- Ensure that all publications and promotional materials are designed in compliance with UNESCO and EU requirements;
- Facilitate and contribute to planning and organization of the media coverage, preparation of media products for project-facilitating round tables, workshops and briefings;
- Facilitate and contribute to planning and organization of large visibility events in each of the four pilot regions and in Tashkent with a media coverage of overall minimum 4 national and 16 local TV channels;
- Coordinate the design of the project website and social media platforms, ensure their daily management, and ensure periodic update on project progress in English, Uzbek and Russian languages to enable wider public participation to reflect on the project over most popular media channels;
- Ensure translation of press-releases, news, bulletins and web-page, and other social media sources follow-up stories to three languages (English, Russian, Uzbek);
- Ensure storing of video/photo materials of each project-related event for press releases and web-page follow-up stories;
- Prepare and post a wide range of articles in the mass media; developing and placing TV and radio spots on featuring project objectives and results; periodic articles on Internet News media;
- Ensure monitoring, implementation and continuously update of the project’s Communication and Visibility plan; and,
- Perform any other tasks related to the scope of work of the Communication and Outreach Officer that may be assigned by the supervisor.
At least an advanced university degree (Masters level or equivalent) in Public Relations, Journalism, Mass media, Communication or other relevant fields.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant professional experience in the field of Communication and Outreach, public service announcement, journalism and mass media;
- Proven experience in drafting quality news articles, announcements and implementation of PR activities;
Experience in working with Government and development partners, as well as with the international/national Non-Governmental Organizations.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English, Uzbek and Russian languages.
- Proven excellent communication skills in English, Uzbek and Russian languages both oral and written;
- Ability to work under pressure, manage heavy workloads and meet tight deadlines, paying close attention to details and quality of work.
- Strong IT skills including excellent knowledge of the Multimedia design software promo materials development.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, negotiation and organizational skills.
- In-depths understanding of the local context, especially agriculture sector priorities.
Ability to work as part of an international team in a multicultural environment.
- Experience in working at the TV and Radio centers and/or mass media associations and at other Mass media;
- Experience in working at the press centers and/or departments with working Mass media of the government entities.
- Experience in working as the PR and Outreach specialist of the government, international and non-governmental organizations,
- Familiarity with the country development priorities with particular focus on employment, skills development, agriculture and irrigation sector development, economic development, livelihoods, local governance, youth development.
- Ability to engage and form effective working relationships with counterparts and colleagues;
- Proven ability to work within limited time constraints in the preparation of high quality products;
- Proven ability to work in a complex, rural and remote areas;
- Familiarity with the administrative procedures of UN and preferably UNESCO
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
Evaluation of qualified applicants may include an assessment exercise and a competency-based interview.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts. UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.