TEMPORARY APPOINTMENT - Programme Adviser, Secretariat of UNFPA Initiative for People of African Descent, Policy and Strategy Division (PSD), New York, P-5
New York City (United States of America)
Duration: 364 days (Temporary Appointment)
Reporting to the Chairperson of the UNFPA Internal Working Group on the People of African Descent (Director of the Latin America & the Caribbean Regional Office) and the Chair alternate (Director of the Policy and Strategy Division), the Adviser is located in the Policy and Strategy Division (PSD) Directorate, New York and is responsible for facilitating development of UNFPA’s strategic positioning in the implementation of the UN International Decade for People of African Descent (Resolution 68/237). S/he manages a team that facilitates the working of the group and supports implementation of its initiative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person's potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s new strategic plan (2018-2021), focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
The primary responsibility of Adviser is:
• Coordinate UNFPA’s engagements in the work of the International Decade for People of African Descent across the organizational business units; country, regional and liaison offices, including through participation in the work of the internal Inter-Divisional Working Groups on Leave No One Behind and the Sustainable Development Goals Decade of Action.
• Advise the Chair of the Interdivisional working group on strategic and institutional positioning of UNFPA in the area of People of African Descent.
• Lead overall organization coherence on work related to the implementation of the Programme of Work of the International Decade for People of African Descent.
Qualifications and Experience
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences, Diplomacy, Public Relations or Development Studies.
Knowledge and Experience:
● 10 years of relevant and increasingly responsible professional and managerial experience in development and multilateral affairs at the global, regional international;
● Strong knowledge of programme of Decade of People of African Descent, human rights, global health, Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment;
● Relevant professional experience in coordination in any UN system agency or organization is an asset;
● Strong interpersonal, analytical and strategic positioning skills.
● Strong public speaking skills are an added advantage.
Other Desirable Skills:
Proficiency in English required. Knowledge of an additional UN language is an asset.