Livestock Development Specialist (Team Leader)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The FAO Representation, Bangladesh is responsible for leading FAO's response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning, and implementation of FAO's priority activities in the country. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in Bangladesh and, in collaboration with Regional Office Asia and Pacific and the departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to the country priorities. The representation also supports the regional office in the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization's Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the country, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. The office also develops and maintains relations with Government of Bangladesh, UN agencies, the resource partners and other development institution at the country level.
The FAO of the United Nations in Bangladesh has been providing Technical Assistance (TA) to the Government of Bangladesh through several projects; many of them have components of livestock production. FAO Bangladesh has been planning to provide TA to the implementation of Livestock and Dairy Development Project (TA-LDDP) of the Department of Livestock Services (DLS), Ministry of Fisheries and Livestock (MoFL). FAO Bangladesh will recruit a National Livestock Production Specialist for the upcoming UTF project of LDDP.
The Livestock Development Specialist (Team Leader) will work under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in the Bangladesh, in close collaboration with the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), close liaison with the Project Director and the Chief Technical Coordinator (CTC) of LDDP and other relevant project staff, the representative of partner organization of public, private or development organization or the field staff work for the implementation of project activities, and following technical supervision of the LTO and the guidance of the AGAG will undertake the following.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Oversee day-to-day implementation of the project in line with project work plan in all areas targeted by the project and guide the project implementation team to ensure the ensure the completion of project activities in a timely manner;
- Closely liaise with the LDDP Project Director and MoFL to maintain a good working relationship for implementation of FAO’s project activities
- Lead and guide in the all areas of the project outputs, capacity development, risk assessment, survey and mapping design, farmer group formation, development of curriculum of livestock farmer field schools, development of livestock manual, and policies.
- Ensure that beneficiaries are selected in a fair and equitable manner and that all subprojects and interventions under the
project take into account the gender equality objectives;
- Ensure that appropriate linkages are established between the project activities and other relevant programs in Bangladesh.
- Contribute to the preparation of the Terms of Reference (ToR), identification and selection of national consultants;
- Ensure that project activities and results are promoted through FAO Bangladesh communication channels;
- Organize and participate in project management meetings and Technical Working Groups;
- Prepare with the support of team all technical specifications for inputs required for the project activities and seek clearance from the Lead Technical Officer/Unit.
- Support the visiting experts deployed under the project for providing technical assistance, monitoring of activities, information sharing and reviewing.
- Prepare and finalize all progress and final narrative reports prior to the corresponding deadlines indicated in the Project Document.
- All other task in relation to the livestock development programme that may be assigned by the FAO Representative.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in Animal Husbandry, Veterinary Science or livestock related degree.
- At least 10 years of experience related to rural business development, livestock and agribusiness sector, micro finance and marketing, competitiveness and value chain analysis in developing countries and developed countries;
- Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of one of the other FAO Official Languages (Spanish French, Arabic, Chinese, Russian).
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
· Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
· Should at least have held a senior leadership/management position on related projects leading multi-disciplinary teams
· In-depth knowledge and experience in the agribusiness development best practices
· Experience in developing agribusiness in livestock or related sector, carrying out sector evaluations/feasibility studies and/or assessments
· Demonstration of strong knowledge in setting up dairy hubs and other businesses in livestock or related sector
· Track record in conducting similar assignments in developing countries related to the preparation, formulation and development of agribusinesses among smallholder farmers
· Experience in working with rural micro-to-small scaled businesses, providing either business development services, training and/or technical assistance;_______________________________________________________________________________________
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency