Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist
Minimum age: 35 years old. Applicants must nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.Description of task
Under the general orientation of the Deputy Resident Representative, the M&E Specialist will be responsible for the following duties:
Summary of Key Functions:
• Design of programme monitoring and evaluation procedures, policies and strategies;
• Implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies;
• Management of the monitoring and evaluation process;
• Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing on monitoring and evaluation
Design of programme monitoring and evaluation procedures, tools, policies and strategies:
- Participates in UNDAF and UNDP programme and projects design by providing quality assurance support and guidance based on compliance requirements, programme need and results-based management principles;
- Design programme monitoring and evaluation tools in line with the UNDP Corporate Strategic Planning, different corporate platforms as well as with the UNDP Results-based principles, approaches and tools;
- Provide tracking key indicators for Programming in line with the UNDP IRRF principles and tools, the current Country Programme Document, UNDAF and other UNDP and UN frameworks including gender-sensitive mainstreaming approaches;
- Develop monitoring and evaluation and project and programme support tools and processes, and innovative approaches aligned with requirements;
- Design tailored tools to track and monitor compliance requirements and indicators and support programme, operations and management staff to ensure due actions are taken accordingly.
- Support the development of office’s standard operating procedures building on lessons learned, evaluations and audit;
- Ensure the production of Country Office documents related to monitoring and evaluations;
- Set a coordination and tracking mechanism for the implementation of the monitoring and evaluation plan;
- Provide support for resources mobilization including through quality assurance support for projects proposals following requirements of UNDP, donors and partners.
Ensures the implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies, focusing on achievement of results based on the following responsibilities:
- Direct responsibility and accountability for planning, management and oversight of thematic, country programme/project monitoring and evaluation commissioned or conducted by the Country Office, the Regional Bureau and Headquarters;
- As part of the Project and Programme Management Support Unit (PMSU), provide regular updates on the office’s tools including the One Pager, the Delivery Matrix, the Projections Matrix, the transparency dashboard, the Quality Assurance Dashboard among others; and provide guidance on the usage of these tools and advise on actions required;
- Support joint UNCT monitoring and evaluation exercises;
- Develop and maintain close dialogue with the UNDP Independent Evaluation Office and evaluation Units in other Country Offices with a view of harmonizing evaluation approaches and agendas;
- Advice the Senior Management on the programme of work, including identification of topics, and projects/programme to be monitored and evaluated;
- Ensure due implementation of partners capacity assessments and assurance activities under the Harmonized Approach to Cash Transfer (HACT) framework;
- Monitor and update the relevant corporate systems including the HACT SharePoint, the Evaluation Resources Centre, the CARDS, the Stream and others; Facilitate the exchange of information in order to build best practices and effective programme management;
- Organize, coordinate and lead monitoring and evaluation missions for development projects, sectoral and thematic monitoring and evaluations;
- Prepare and support independent and credible evaluations in compliance with UNDP standards;
- Ensure that monitoring reports and evaluations are useful and that their recommendations and conclusions are implemented in a timely manner;
- Organize and coordinate desk evaluations/studies on selected sectors/themes.
Ensure effective management of monitoring and evaluation processes in the Country Office, focusing on achievement of results based on the following responsibilities:
- Ensure compliance with monitoring and evaluation standards, support quality assurance/control and capacity development in the Country Office;
- Prepare Terms of Reference (TOR), support the selection of consultants and evaluation teams, provide technical feedback on evaluations and budget oversight;
- Provide guidance on UNDP monitoring and evaluation policies, procedures and practices to programme managers, UNDP Country Office staff concerned with monitoring and evaluation, consultants and/or members of the monitoring and evaluation team.
- Provide technical advice at the design of programmes/projects including for the results framework with defined indicators and budget; Provide support in monitoring and results-based reporting of those indicators;
- Within the PMSU, support programme, operations and management staff in planning, implementing and monitoring resources allocation, budget revision and delivery projections at project and programme levels; ensure that lessons learned and recommendations from evaluations and monitoring reports are duly considered and reflected in policy/project/programme design;
- Coordinate and facilitate programme monitoring activities;
- Follow up on implementation of monitoring and evaluation recommendations. Ensuring the optimal use of monitoring and evaluations reports by providing guidance in preparation of timely management response to all mandatory evaluations.
Ensure facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the area of monitoring and evaluation, focusing on achievement of results based on the following responsibilities:
- Provide and facilitate training / capacity building and knowledge management based on UNDP’s programme and operations policies and procedures (POPP) and other relevant guiding frameworks;
- Identify and mainstream lessons learned from monitoring, evaluations and relevant research into Country Offices’ common practices and procedures;
- Provide knowledge management support to the senior management and programme and operations staff;
- Support monitoring and evaluation exercises with collaboration and coordination with other UN agencies, government agencies, NGOs, and other organizations;
- Participate and support the work of the M&E Interagency Group within the UNCT;
- Organize and conduct of results-oriented monitoring and evaluation trainings in the Country Office;
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation practitioners’ dialogues remaining abreast of latest development and professional norms, standards, tools and methodologies particularly on M&E, Project Management and Results-Based Management;
- Support results-based reporting and communication to internal staff and external audience including donors, partners and relevant stakeholders.
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UNDP’s interventions and activities in achieving the country’s development and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). Effective implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies, as well as efficient management of the monitoring and evaluation process, enhance the organization’s capacity and credibility to provide leadership and high-quality technical advice on the formulation of innovative programme strategies and projects which address specific needs of the country in the UNDP Practice Areas.Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level: Master degree or equivalent Education - Additional Comments:
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Management, Business Administration, Finance, International Relations, Political Science, Economics or related social sciences.Required experience: 180 Months Experience remark:
- At least 15 years of experience in monitoring, evaluation and/or project and programme management support.
- Experience with Management Support providing regular updates on the office’s performance such as dashboards and quality assurance in general.
- Experience in the usage of web-based management systems and M&E relevant software packages.
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation with a background in the analysis of socio-economic issues and related policy matters.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Monitoring experience using a variety of analytical tools and methods for analysis, forecasting, and other data approaches.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
- Portuguese(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Development programmes, technical assistanceDriving license: Yes Competencies values:
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Building Trust, Client Orientation, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Ethics and Values, Integrity, Judgement and Decision-making, Knowledge Sharing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Self-Management, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call for to which you would like to apply.