National Humanitarian Affairs
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Head of Field Coordination Unit, the National Humanitarian Affairs Officer (NHAO) analyzes political, social and economic trends and participates in the formulation, management and evaluation of programme activities within a portfolio. The NHAO works in close collaboration with the OCHA Libya management and coordination teams, NGOs and Programme staff in other UN Agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Deputy Head of Office and under the day-to-day guidance of the Head of Field Coordination Unit, the incumbent is expected to perform the following tasks:
- Assist in the coordination of humanitarian assistance in the context of Libya by supporting the Head of Field Coordination Unit in strengthening coordination mechanisms and by attending cluster meetings and participating in other coordination mechanisms as tasked;
- Assist in establishing or strengthening partnerships with Libyan Government and local authorities and humanitarian actors to promote joint or collaborative emergency preparedness and response activities;
- Undertake and provide support to technical assistance and other field missions, e.g. participate in field trips to undertake in-depth reviews of specific coverage areas or coordination mechanisms;
- Partner with other humanitarian agencies to plan and evaluate humanitarian and emergency assistance programmes and help to ensure that latest findings, lesson learnt, policy guidelines etc. are incorporated into these activities, including gender-related considerations;
- Contribute to the preparation of various written reports, documents and communications, e.g. draft sections of studies, background papers, policy guidelines, briefings, presentations and provide up-to-date analysis on trends and developments on the humanitarian situation in the country;
- Provide support in the collection of information on humanitarian developments and relief programmes;
- Initiate, coordinate and lead, where appropriate, humanitarian assessment missions.
- Track information required for early warning of potential humanitarian emergencies; promote preparedness measures, including inter-agency contingency planning.
- Support the Sub-Office in monitoring the respect and safeguarding of humanitarian principles.
- Contribute to OCHA daily updates and situation reports on the humanitarian situation at the national level, reported needs and humanitarian responses;
- Assist in strengthening local level networks to gather information from the field, including from local communities and non-traditional partners;
- Collect and contribute information to update OCHA products including 3/4W, situation reports, fact sheets and other products as required;
- Support advocacy initiatives on humanitarian concerns and issues (protection of civilians, funding gaps, specific vulnerabilities);
- Perform other duties as required.
Impact of Results:
Assist the OCHA Office in Libya in identifying significant humanitarian issues and developing innovative suggestions and approaches to problem solving. Help meet organizational objectives and provide sound analytical inputs and support to the coordination of humanitarian action.
Results-Based Response Development and Management
Level 1.2: Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses performance of the humanitarian response to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into response mechanisms
- Monitor and evaluate humanitarian response in order to bridge the gaps in coordination and information management
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts and build effective partnerships with wider humanitarian counterparts, for well coordinated humanitarian response and sound information management
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Planning and Organizing
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
Required Skills and Experience
Masters’ Degree in social science, public administration, law, development studies, international affairs or related field.
Alternatively, Bachelor’s degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Minimum of 2 years of relevant progressively responsible experience in humanitarian affairs, emergency preparedness, crisis/emergency relief management or other related area, preferably with a UN organization or an NGO.
Experience working with international organizations in the field of humanitarian action, protection of civilians in armed conflict, and civil-military coordination will be an added advantage.
Familiarity with and good knowledge of the Libyan crisis and humanitarian assistance to Libya is strongly desired.
Fluency in English and Arabic (both oral and written) is required.
- Experience in the use of computers and office software packages and handling of web based management systems.
- Proven abilities in data collection, compilation, analysis and reporting with ability to write in a clear and concise manner and effective oral communication;
- Proven skills in conducting and participating in meetings and reporting thereof.
- Ability to prioritise multiple tasks within an environment where many interruptions occur.
- Ability to work with multi-cultural teams and international professionals;
- Availability and fitness for travel;
- Ability to work under pressure.