Programme Officer - Inclusive Growth Cluster - UNDP Moldova
Reducing poverty and bridging regional disparities through creating economic opportunities, improving access to quality education, healthcare services, and more accessible and efficient public services and employment, are among major priorities reflected in Moldova 2020 development strategy, sectorial strategies, national MDG commitments, international and regional treaties, as well as in EU-Moldova cooperation framework.
Despite economic growth, gross domestic product per capita remains the lowest in Europe. Moreover, the urban–rural divide has widened, and people face a steady decline in income and access to basic services as the development gap is increasing. Dramatic decrease in the standard of living affected to a great extent population on both banks of the Nistru River. The consequences of the frozen conflict in the breakaway Transnistrian region still have a negative impact on the economy and also on the social situation of the region and of the country as a whole.
UNDP is working to expand access to basic services, and achieve more equitable and sustainable local and regional development for improving the livelihoods of the vulnerable people. Engagement of the private sector in the broader development and advocacy for responsible entrepreneurship seeks to reduce urban-rural income disparities through integrated local initiatives targeting remote and disadvantaged regions.
The analytical work is increasingly focused on cross-practice areas to support via policy advice and research for inclusive growth and sustainable human development, advance policy innovations aimed at mainstreaming sustainable development thinking, and more inclusive and innovative economic growth.
UNDP advocates for nationally owned solutions and helps to make them effective through ensuring a greater voice for poor people, expanding access to productive assets and economic opportunities, and linking poverty programmes with countries' international economic and financial policies. At the same time, UNDP contributes to efforts at reforming trade, debt relief and investment arrangements to better support national poverty reduction and make globalization work for poor people. In doing so, we support innovative pilot projects; connect countries to global best practices and resources; promote the role of women in development; and bring governments, civil society and outside funders together to coordinate their efforts.
UNDP contributes to confidence building between both banks of the Nistru River by involving local authorities, civil society organizations, business community and other stakeholders, as well as through economic and social development of local communities. It aims to ensure that on-going efforts at the political and technical levels are supported by development and confidence building initiatives at the community level that seek to create an environment conducive to dialogue and cooperation at all levels.
Following the profound health, social and economic crisis due to COVID-19 pandemic, UNDP Moldova will embark on the implementation of early and mid-term recovery measures, based on the Socio-economic assessment of COVID-19 impact on the most vulnerable groups, as well as on the local business community, with particular focus on local SMEs.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Programme Specialist/Inclusive Growth Cluster Lead, the Programme Officer analyzes political, social and economic trends and participates in the formulation, management and monitoring of programme activities within the portfolio, with a particular focus on developing and implementing early and mid-term recovery measures, as well being responsible for managing the UNDP programme within the thematic/sectoral areas assigned.
The Programme Officer supervises relevant project staff. The Programme Officer works in close collaboration with the CO Management Support and Business Development, Programme and Operations teams, programme staff in other UN Agencies, UNDP HQs staff.
1. Ensures quality of implementation of programme strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Thorough analysis and research of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation of substantive inputs to CCA, UNPF, CPD, CPAP and other documents.
- Analysis and synthesis of proposals on the areas for support and interventions within the practice area of inclusive growth, social cohesion and economic/business development.
- Ensures monitoring and reporting, specifically setting up and maintain a system for data gathering and reporting for the Cluster (within assigned projects, but also between the projects).
2. Participates in effective management of the CO programme within the assigned practice area focusing on quality control from formulation to implementation of the country programme, achieving the following results:
- Effective application of RBM tools, establishment of management targets (BSC) and monitoring achievement of results.
- Design and formulation of some parts of CO programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions.
- Initiation of a project, presentation of the project to PAC, finalization of contribution agreement; determination of required revisions; coordination of the mandatory and budget re-phasing exercises, closure of projects through review. Application of conceptual models in support of programme design.
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions. Participation in audit of NIM projects.
- Quality assurance and backstopping for projects in the thematic area of responsibility which are fully nationally implemented, including coordination and oversight of quality assurance activities and regular update of the ATLAS ERBM module.
- Aggregated reports are regularly prepared on activities, outputs and outcomes. Preparation of donor reports. Preparation of inputs for corporate reports.
3. Supports creation of strategic partnerships and implementation of the resource mobilization strategy focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Contribution to development of partnerships with the UN Agencies, IFI’s, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society in the specific thematic areas based on strategic goals of UNDP, country needs and donors’ priorities.
4. Provides quality advisory services to the Inclusive Growth Cluster on the elaboration of programmatic response to COVID19 in line with the UN Socio-Economic Response Framework:
- Support translating the recommendations of the socio-economic impact assessment (SEIA)SEIA into early and mid-term recovery initiatives of the Inclusive Growth Cluster;
- Support the Cluster in resource mobilization to ensure implementation of the proposed recovery strategies through project development, positions papers, among other activities;
- Establish and implement planning, monitoring and reporting mechanisms for evidence-based recovery programming;
- Support cooperation with national and international counterparts, donors and other stakeholders to ensure that the ongoing activities tie in with recovery strategies.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Manages and monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Analyzes country situation to identify opportunities for project development. Participates in the formulation of project proposals.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Enhancing processes or products
- Generates new ideas and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyzes information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Identifies opportunities for project proposals for presentation to donors
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Preparing information for global advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Public Administration, Economics, Law, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field. Additional training and certification in project management is an advantage.
- 9 (nine) years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing management advisory services and hands-on experience in design, monitoring and evaluation of development projects.
- Experience in managing projects in the field of business development, inclusive economic growth, and/or local and regional development is mandatory.
- Experience of working in conflict-sensitive development program would be an asset.
- Experience in development assistance or related work for a donor organization, consulting company, or NGO is compulsory. Previous experience with EC/UNDP is a strong advantage.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Fluency in oral and written English, Romanian and Russian.
- Working knowledge of one or more additional languages relevant for Moldova, including Bulgarian, Gagauzian, Romani, Ukrainian or sign language would be an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
This is a local position, therefore only citizens of the Republic of Moldova or others legally authorized to work in the country are eligible to apply.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
Roma and other ethnic or religious minorities, persons living with HIV, as well as refugees and other non-citizens legally entitled to work in the Republic of Moldova, are particularly encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.