IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments.
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
• Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply for this position
• FAO does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
• The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization.
The Office of Climate Change, Biodiversity and Environment promotes integration of innovative approaches in the activities of the Organization, for the sustainable use, management and conservation of natural resources for food and agriculture. OCB assists member countries in their responses towards the challenge of climate change mitigation and adaptation, as well as the development of adaptive capacities of agriculture, fisheries and forestry for conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity and other natural resources. It provides a coordination role on climate change, biodiversity and the environment. The Office also serves as the focal point for a multidisciplinary and global approach to UNFCCC, CBD and topics on bioenergy as well as undertaking work and providing support and guidance on assessment, management and tenure issues.
The post is located in the office of the Deputy Director, OCB
The Natural Resources Officer reports to Deputy Director, OCB
Technical support for FAO's international engagement and country support for climate action including activities under the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and its Conference of the Parties (COP), the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, the Food Systems Summit 2021, the Committee on Food Security and other related activities
Collection and analysis of information, data and statistics and project / meeting services to support programme projects, products and services.
• Collects and analyzes relevant technical, social, economic, environmental, institutional and technology related information, data and/or statistics to support the delivery of programme projects, products and services;
• Undertakes analysis, provides technical input for plans and reports and edits/revises technical/scientific documents;
• Participates in the development of improved work methods, tools and systems;
• Updates databases and web pages;
• Participates on multi-disciplinary project/work teams;
• Collaborates in the development of training tools and materials and the organization of workshops/seminars etc.;
• Participates in the organization, conduct and follow-up of meetings, consultations and conferences, the development/production of required materials and the provision of information and assistance to partners.
• Supports the internal coordination of meetings to update FAO colleagues and gather their inputs for FAO's participation at international conferences and meetings such as COP26 and UNFCCC Subsidiary Bodies meetings
• Coordinates consultations with relevant divisions and draft FAO submissions to the UNFCCC Secretariat on topics related to the implementation of the Paris Agreement and the Koronivia Joint Work on Agriculture
• Drafts technical papers and briefings to support FAO's engagement in international climate change related activities
• Collects and analyses information and data to provide technical input to support OCB/FAO's engagement in climate related projects and activities
• Supports OCB input to the review of FAO's contribution to the achievement of SDG13
• Supports the implementation of relevant outcomes from the OCB Strategic Planning Exercise to help OCB best deliver its function.
• Performs other duties as required
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in natural resources, environmental or social sciences, agriculture or a related field
• Three years of relevant experience in in natural resources management, including in the areas of country support and international agenda on climate change.
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience in collecting and analysing technical information and data on climate change and food and agriculture and related areas
• Extent and relevance of experience in the preparation, editing and revision of technical/scientific documents
• Extent and relevance of Experience in organizing meetings and events at national and international levels and in coordinating consultations for inputs from across FAO