Driver - G2
OPEN TO SUDANESE NATIONALS ONLY
Vacancy no.: DC/KHARTOUM/GS/2020/07
Publication date: 12 October 2020
Application deadline (midnight local time): 26 October 2020
Job ID: 4663
Organization Unit: CO-Addis Ababa
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of renewal
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade.
The PROSPECTS Partnership in Sudan aims to achieve sustainable improvements in the wellbeing and independence of forcibly displaced persons (FDPs) and host communities (HCs) in Sudan. With a humanitarian-development-peace nexus approach (HDPN), the Partnership aims to deliver an enhanced response by bringing in the expertise needed to transition people from relief to development through a new way of working as exemplified in the proposed jointly implemented ‘Graduation Approach. The Partnership aims to enhance the enabling environment for socio-economic inclusion of forcibly displaced persons (FDP), enhance access to education, training and protection for host and displaced children and young people, and strengthen the resilience of host communities (HC) through inclusive socio- economic development that also benefits FDPs.
As a core member of the Partnership, the ILO implements its technical and programming assistance interventions out of the ILO Country Office at the PETRONAS Complex in Khartoum. PROSPECTS programme managers are – despite COVID conditions present in the country – expected to be physically engaged with UN sister agencies, government and ministerial counterparts, donor representatives, stakeholders from various tripartite bodies and other civil society organizations. To facilitate this work, the PROSPECTS programme has recently finalized the procurement of a project vehicle. With the completion of this contract, the PROSPECTS programme will require a licenced driver to operate and maintain the vehicle in accordance with national laws, ILO guidance, COVID operating parameters, and using reputable suppliers and service providers.
Reporting Lines: Under the overall responsibility of the Director of the CO - Addis Ababa, the Project Driver will report and work under the direct supervision of the PROSPECTS Programme Manager. He will also work in close collaboration with the Finance and Administrative Assistant of the Project.
- Drive office vehicles for official purposes (transport of authorized personnel and the delivery and collection of documents to counterpart ministries partner UN agencies, and other stakeholders;
- Meet official personnel at the airport and facilitate the processing of any related immigration and customs formalities;
- Collect and deliver mail pouch, parcels, document packages, banking and supplier receipts, and other PROSPECTS-related items;
- Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle, check oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc., perform minor repairs and arrange for other repairs, and ensure that the vehicle is kept clean and ensure regular car service;
- Ensure the vehicle insurance is regularly and timely renewed;
- Ensure that necessary security compliances as per UNDSS regulations are in place when travelling on official missions;
- Keep records of use of vehicle (official trips, daily mileage, gas consumption, oil changes, greasing and other services with special emphasis on alignment with ILO COVID vehicle guidelines;
- Ensure that the necessary rules and regulations as per protocol are followed in case of involvement in an accident;
- Perform miscellaneous office support functions such as messenger services and making photocopies;
- Supports the PROSPECTS programme managers with Visa Entry applications and provides high quality follow up with the relevant ministries responsible for travel authorization, security document submissions, customs and immigration approvals;
- Support the team during the conduct of workshops, seminars and conferences; and
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
Primary education, valid driver's license, knowledge of driving rules and regulations, and skills in minor vehicle repairs.
Two years' work experience as a driver plus safe driving record. Prior ILO and United Nations experience is highly desirable, as well as prior experience of working on administrative support-type activities for development organizations and/or projects.
Good knowledge of Arabic and working knowledge of English.
- Proven ability to keep accurate records of the use of vehicle.
- Proven ability to drive safely in local traffic conditions.
- Ability to follow road and traffic rules and instructions.
- Ability to undertake minor vehicle repair.
- Ability to use a GPS data recorder, report position, and operate all applicable UHF/VHF and other two-way communication devices;
- Ability to lift and carry heavy mail bags, parcels and boxes, and other couriered items.
- Demonstrate polite, courteous and cooperative behaviour.
- Demonstrate high level of collegiality and cooperation, good team worker.
- Ability to operate in alignment with ILO COVID vehicle guidelines and protocols; and
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
Assessed candidates who will be considered as appointable but not selected for this position can also be offered to be assigned on another temporary position at the same or at a lower grade provided that said candidates possesses the minimum qualifications for this position.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account - @ilo.org - should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.