Program Manager I - Livelihoods EU, South Sudan
Bor (South Sudan)
As the newest country in the world, South Sudan continues to struggle amidst the challenges that accompany the complex process of nation-building. The 2018 Peace Agreement has brought hope that South Sudan will transition from a protracted crisis to long-term development programming, but the implementation of the agreement has been slow. CRS country program in South Sudan includes Food Security, Livelihoods, Nutrition, WASH, Emergency Response, Health, Peacebuilding and Microfinance, supported by WFP, USAID, EU and emergency funding from CRS, LDS, and other Caritas private donors.
Manage and provide technical oversight of the development and implementation of the livelihoods component of the EU-funded livelihoods and social cohesion program Greater Jonglei, ensuring effective systems and processes are in place that support high-quality programming. The program is designed to complement and integrat e with existing CRS programming and field teams carrying out interventions in the same sectors and target areas. Your management skills and knowledge will ensure that the CP delivers high-quality livelihoods, agriculture and disaster risk reduction programming and continuously works towards improving the impact of its stabilization, reconciliation and resilience programming. You will recruit, train and lead the program’s livelihoods field teams for CRS and undertake direct implementation of activities in insecure and remote field locations. You will coordinate actively with CRS other livelihoods programs in Greater Jonglei, often sharing teams and offices. You and senior program managers will be based in Bor town, Jonglei State, and conduct direct programming through teams working in three remote field locations.
* Master's Degree in Rural Development, Agronomy, Agricultural Economics or a related dis cipline. Additional experience may substitute for some education.
* Minimum of 2 years’ experience in managing moderately complex livelihoods programs in a remote field setting, preferably with an international NGO.
* Experience in managing cash transfer programming.
* Experience of livelihoods programming for rural or pastoralist youth in conflict settings.
Required Languages - English
Travel: Must be willing and able to spend up to 60% of time in remote and insecure field locations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Technical experience in developing and directly implementing livelihoods, agriculture and disaster risk reduction programs in conflict settings.
* Technical expertise in micro-credit, crop farming, livestock management, rural youth livelihoods and cash programming.
* Strong critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills with ability to make sound judgment. Proven ability to plan and manage multiple tasks in parallel to optimize the short seasonal implementation window in multiple locations. Capacity to respond rapidly to evolving challenges, devise appropriate solutions and achieve results.
* Cultural awareness and the capacity to learn rapidly and adapt management approaches to varying cultural and security contexts.
* Strong relationship management skills and the ability to work effectively with culturally diverse groups. Experience and skills in implementing matrix management for programs and operations field teams.
* Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to write reports.
* Demonstrated capacity to live and work in remote and insecure field locations with very basic amenities and few or no other international staff and adhere a strict curfew and movement res trictions.
* Direct project management experience in livelihoods and cash programming for pastoralist youth in conflict settings is highly desirable.
* Experience contributing to the development of technical proposals.
* MEAL skills and experience preferred.
* Experience using MS Windows and MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information management systems.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
The post provides technical oversight to program teams implementing activities at field level.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Livelihoods technical and program teams in Greater Jonglei, programs and operations management teams across Greater Jonglei and regional technical advisors.
External: Caritas Internationalis member organizations, UN agencies (FAO and WFP), peer agencies, State Ministry of Agriculture, state level food security and livelihoods cluster and local government authorities.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
By applying to this job, I understand and acknowledge that CRS requires its staff to treat all people with dignity and respect and to actively prevent harassment, abuse, exploitation, and human trafficking. Further, I understand that if I am a successful candidate, I will be subject to a comprehensive background check, and my personal/professional references will be asked to evaluate my behaviors related to the above safeguarding-related topics.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.