Senior Assignments Assistant
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).Senior Assignments Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Senior Assignments Assistant is a member of the Vacancy Management Unit in the Assignments Management Section (AMS). S/he will perform Administrative functions to support the smooth running of assignments and promotions sessions. Specifically, the incumbent will assist in the planning and scheduling of these sessions, and ensuring the timely preparation of confidential information, documentation and correspondence for positions in the international professional category. This will include verifying that the agenda, files and necessary documents both electronic and hardcopy are prepared with utmost accuracy for each session.
The incumbent will also provide administrative support and ensure adequate logistical support is provided during assignments sessions. The incumbent will be the focal point for processing and following up on Special Constraints Panel (SCP) recommendations.
To perform his/her functions, the incumbent will interact with managers/ admin staff in the Bureaux, Divisions, Services at HQ's and at field locations with other HR colleagues within the Division (Career Planning and Performance Management Officers/ Associates in the Career Management Services Section, Personnel Administration and Payroll Section staff), the Legal Affairs Section and HR Policy Unit, if appropriate.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist the HR Associate/Head of Unit to plan and schedule assignments sessions, coordinate inputs from a variety of sources relating to an assignments session and in this regard, provide a client oriented service by liaising with the Executive Office, Administrative Officers in Bureaus and Divisions, managers in the field, Career Management Officers on the status of vacancies, and ensure recommendations are in line with the relevant rules, regulations and procedures.
- Following internal allocation of assignments/ tasks, follow up on issues requiring attention and resulting from an assignments session.
- Assist in the preparation of highly confidential documentation/ correspondence for assignments meetings in respect of international professional vacancies. In consultation with the Secretary, convene Committee meetings and ensure smooth functioning of the sessions as well as administrative support when the Committee is in session. Verify the agenda, member's files and ensure necessary updates before distribution to members.
- Assist in the issuance of compendium vacancies by providing relevant information as required.
- Use different HR modules of MSRP to update the agenda and update job openings on the status of vacancies in MSRP.
- Coordinate with relevant units with regards to requests from staff members who require a waiver to apply in D&E Duty stations. Compile confidential information concerning staff members who have a personal or medical constraint and update applicants' information in MSRP as well as the data base. Provide the information to a restricted distribution.
- Provide timely and pertinent information on assignments to the Head of Unit and Chief of RPS.
- Draft routine and non-routine correspondence and respond to general or specific inquiries and with discretion where necessary
- Access to sensitive and confidential information.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G5 - 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
Certificates and/or Licenses
HCR Learning Program;
Post-Sec Training Certificate;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Knowledge of UN administration and recruitment procedures, assignments and postings rules.
2 years of relevant previous work experience. Ability to handle confidential information with discretion and tact.
Knowledge of UNHCR specific administrative procedures.
HR-Recruitment & Vacancy Management procedures
MS-Drafting, Documentation, Data Presentation
IT-Microsoft Office Productivity Software
HR-PeopleSoft Human Capital Management
UN-UN/UNHCR Human Resources Rules, Regulations, Policies and Procedures
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates. C001L2 - Accountability Level 2
C002L2 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 - Communication Level 2
C004L2 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 - Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 - Organizational Awareness Level 2
X001L2 - Analytical Thinking Level 2
X003L2 - Technological Awareness Level 2
X005L2 - Planning and Organizing Level 2 Knowledge of English is Essential. Knowledge of French is Desirable. Candidates might be required to sit a test in connection with this job opening.
Closing date for submissions or applications is 25 October 2020.