Admin and Finance Officer “SDG-Aligned Budgeting to Transform Employment in Mongolia” project
Ulan Bator (Mongolia)
The project “SDG-Aligned Budgeting to Transform Employment in Mongolia” aims to support increased employment and promotion of decent work in Mongolia. The Project plans to achieve its goal by conjoining two main streams of activities: i) enabling and promoting employability in Mongolia via direct interventions and policy improvements, and ii) improving the public finance management systems to absorb results-oriented, effective and evidence-based policies and budget initiatives in employment and labour sectors.
The project will be implemented in close coordination with the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Labour and Social Protection, National Development Agency, Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Light Industry, Ministry of Education and Science, General Agency on State Inspection, as well as Mongolian Employers’ Federation, Confederation of Mongolian Trade Unions, industry representatives and civil society organizations.
The project will start in October 2020 and run until the end of 2023. The project is funded by the European Union (EU), and will be implemented jointly by UNDP, Food and Agriculturual Organization (FAO), and International Labor Organization (ILO). The project has the following four components:
Component A: Bridging Policies with Budgets
Component B: Budget Oversight and Transparency
Component C: Employment Promotion: Boosting Employability
Component D: Effective Application of International Labour Standards by Strengthening Institutions of Work
For more information about the Project, please refer to the Project Document.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Naitonal Project Coordinator (NPC), the Administrative and Finance Officer (AFO) is responsible for project implementation support services, ensuring effective operational management of the project and transparent utilization of financial resources. The AFO promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The AFO works in close collaboration with the Project Implementing Unit (PIU) and the Country Office
Duties and Responsibilities
Finance and Budget Management:
- Ensure full compliance of financial processes and financial records with UN/UNDP rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Prepare draft budgets, budget set-up and clearance, as well as budget revisions and enter the updates into the system;
- Manage project budget in accordance with the UNDP financial rules and regulations and the European Union requirements;
- Verify all supporting documentation for payment requests, disbursement vouchers, Responsible Parties’ financial reports and other financial documents, when required; ensure timely follow up actions on pre-payment vouchers;
- Submit voucher/vendor creation requests to Global Shared Services Unit (GSSU) and tale necessary actions;
- Ensure timely corrective actions on Purchase Orders (PO) and vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved PO and vouchers;
- Provide the accurate information to the Finance and HR Units for the monthly payroll;
- Develop forecasts of budget utilization and the expenses related to activities as required;
- Prepare weekly cash forecasts and submit to Country Office;
- Maintain internal expenditures control system by ensuring that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
- Monitor financial expenditure of the project and ensure that financial delivery of the project is in accordance with the project document and annual work plans;
- Suggest changes or improvements to increase accuracy and efficiency;
- Take initiatives to mainstream gender in project budgets;
- Liaise with the Country Office, counterparts and other parties on preparation of contracts, budgets and payments;
- Prepare mid-year and annual budget expenditure reports; ensure timely preparation of financial reports in accordance with the reporting schedule, including the financial reports of different components of the project;
- Collaborate and coordinate with FAO and ILO finance focal points;
- Ensure preparation for, and support to spot checks, and annual project audits;
- Ensure regular follow up to audit recommendations.
- Actively participate in the preparation of annual work plans, and project operational planning, including procurement planning;
- Assist in administrative work and provide logistic support for smooth implementation of the project, including support organization of meetings, training, workshops, conferences and seminars;
- Ensure availability, efficient deployment and regular maintenance of the project equipment;
- Ensure office supplies are well stocked and properly accounted for, and maintain vehicle logbooks;
- Prepare various contractual documents related to procurement of goods and services and follow-up on the status of the contract;
- Maintain up-to-date the file of contracts and periodically report to NPC on necessary follow-up actions;
- Maintain filing and archiving of project documents and submit the archived documents to the respective authorities on a timely basis;
- Assist in preparation of regular progress reports in line with reporting schedule;
- Support coordination and synergies of project components, other relevant projects and initiatives;
- Perform other administrative and financial duties as assigned by NPC;
- Make the required travel arrangements, accommodation, venue, and other logistics for workshops, trainings, seminars, etc.;
- Preparation and timely submission of Travel Authorizations (TAs) and travel claims. Ensure all travel related files contain up to date information.
- Ensure inventory and asset management according to IPSAS requirements;
- Participate in regular physical inventory verification and submits subsequent inventory reports, produce the required release and receiving documents.
- Manage transfer of assets in line with the UNDP asset management rules and regulations
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Zero tolerance for any harassment i.e. any type of offensive behavior, words and actions, including sexual and psychological harassment, bullying, etc.
- Ability to get things done
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work related to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in position related tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in daily work
Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Ability to work with a multidisciplinary and multicultural team
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business or Public Administration, Economics or related field;
- Mongolian Certified Public Accountant Completion Certificate is an asset but not required;
- ACCA or other public certified accounting is an asset but not required.
- A minimum three (3) years (with Masters’ degree), or minimum five (5) years (with Bachelors’ degree) of relevant experience at the national and/or international level accounting, finance, operations, administration or audit services;
- Thorough knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (e.g. IPSAS);
- Experience of managing budget and finance of complex projects, programmes, or initiatives is an asset;
- Excellent knowledge of English and Mongolian, both spoken and written.
ICT skills requirements:
Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Corporate ERP working experience is an asset.
Strong organizational skills and attention to details;Ability to plan and prioritize work duties as well as work competently under pressure and tight deadlines
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.