ICT Senior Assistant
Background Information - PSC
Peace and Security Centre
For over 20 years, the United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) Peace and Security Cluster (PSC) has provided its largest partner, UNMAS, with interlinked portfolio, programme and project management services that are reinforced by comprehensive management and oversight controls.
Under this umbrella, the Cluster is responsible for the day-to-day management of UNMAS Field Programmes through a comprehensive approach encompassing areas such as human resources, procurement and contract management, as well as planning, implementation and risk management, that is supported by cross-cutting initiatives that include knowledge and information management, and gender, diversity and inclusion. This comprehensive delivery platform is implemented according to client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations through the leadership of the Cluster Director, who has the overall authority and accountability for the performance of PSC on behalf of its clients.
Background Information - Job-specific
The UN Mine Action Service (UNMAS) supports the government Directorate of Mine Action Coordination (DMAC) in planning, managing and oversees of all mine action activities in Afghanistan. It provides technical support to all partners and ensures the proper integration of mine action into wider humanitarian assistance and developmental programmes.
Summary of Key Functions:
- Implementation of ICT and operational strategies
- ICT administration
- Network administration
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Full compliance of ICT activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Contribution to the office’s ICT business processes mapping and to the elaboration of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in ICT, in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
- Maintenance of inventory of all computer, telecommunication equipment, I/O devices and software existent in the office ensuring compliance with registration and upgrades.
- Performance of maintenance and minor repairs on hardware equipment.
3. Provides support to network administration, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management, maintenance and monitoring of the continuous operation of critical components of the system servers – i.e. file, application, print and video conferencing equipment.
- Operation and maintenance of the office Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN) systems.
- Installation of hardware, network connections and cables.
- Troubleshooting of hardware/software problems.
4. Ensures efficient and functioning telecommunications system, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proactive maintenance on telecom system to avoid disruption of service.
- Performance of minor repairs on hardware equipment, as required.
- Receipt, testing and installation of telecommunications hardware.
5. Provides support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support on hardware familiarization and maintenance, software applications, file management/maintenance and LAN/WAN systems.
- Assistance to users for LAN and Desktop access.
- Support on standard software applications – i.e. MS Office, email, etc.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- First level university degree (Bachelor's degree or equivalent) with one year of relevant experience; OR
- Secondary School Diploma (High School or equivalent) with five years of relevant experience is required.
- Relevant experience is defined as experience in Information Technology, Network Administration or related field.
- Minimum one year of experience in IT is required
- Minimum one year of experience in Network Administration is required
- Experience in Web Site Administration is desired
- Intermediate English (speaking, reading and writing) is required
- Knowledge of Pashto or Dari is desired
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: LICA-5 ( ICS-5)
Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of extension subject to satisfactory performance and available budget
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- This is a local position, only Afghan nationals will be considered for further assessment
- Applications received after the closing date are not considered
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Work-life harmonizationWe value our people and recognize the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. UNOPS has a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offers flexible working options. This applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types across the globe
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.