Site Engineer Associate, SC6, Cox's Bazar
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP is envisioning a large scale-up of the existing engineering projects to meet the food security needs of all of the new refugee influx and site management engineering project requirements. In parallel, WFP envisions a cash transfer assistance programme targeting host communities that are suffering under the pressure of the large population increase in the area. The plan for host community assistance is to provide conditional cash transfers with the objective of enhancing livelihood opportunities.
To provide construction expertise and contribute to the efficient delivery and quality outputs.
The Site Engineer will work under the overall guidance and supervision of the Community Workfare Lead Engineer, in close coordination with the Head of Disaster Risk and Reduction (DRR) Unit supported by Community Workfare Lead.
Under the overall guidance and supervision of CW Lead Engineer, the Site Engineer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Field assessment, site planning, supervision and management of construction works;
- Provide guidance to the CP Team regarding the scope and technical detail of the various project elements, taking into account ease of implementation, cost, time, and impact on other elements of the project;
- Completion of all necessary measurements and control of quality on the project;
- Ensure that the construction project abide by relevant national/international standards of health and safety for the works, adjacent properties, all site personnel and the general public;
- Reporting of all health & safety incidents and accidents in daily/ weekly progress reports;
- Working closely with CP teams to conduct field assessment of sites and structures, produce design solutions and suggestions in line with Site Improvement Catalogue;
- Prepare and/or review designs, drawings and construction contract documentation and reports
- Calculate estimates and produce Bill of Quantities;
- Periodic site supervision and support partners’ technical staff – attend meetings necessary to track the progress of the project;
- Review reports and drawings received from Partners and provide timely and strongly worded feedback;
- Support CP staff in preparation of financial reporting, as required;
- Preparation/review of handover documentation including as-built drawings, material reports and manuals, and ensure proper project close out;
- Any other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Diploma or Bachelor’s degree qualified in Civil Engineering – Construction, Planning, Design or other related field.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum 4 years of relevant experience at increasing levels of responsibilities. Experience in construction engineering.
LANGUAGE: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Bangla. Fluency in oral Chittagonian/Rohingyan dialect is desirable.
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
- Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Good communication and leadership skills.
- Knowledge and experience of design, planning and supervision of construction projects.
- Desirable knowledge of engineering procurement and contract management procedures.
- Desirable experience of working within the Humanitarian Community or Development Sector.
- Familiarity with the special context of refugee camps and makeshift sites in Cox’s Bazar is an asset.
Contract Type : Service Contract, SC6
Contract Duration : 12 months
Duty Station : Cox’s Bazar, Bangladesh
Nationality : Bangladeshi only
Monthly Salary : BDT. 103,091
Number of post : One (01)
28 October 2020
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.