Department Head for Industry, Procurement, Knowledge Transfer and European support (IPT-2020-124-LD)
Company DescriptionAt CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Within the Finance and Human Resources Sector, the Department Head for Industry, Procurement and Knowledge Transfer will be leading a department with a primary responsibility in relations with industry partners and related stakeholders.
The successful candidate's main tasks will include:
- Leading industrial partnerships and improving the broadening & diversification of suppliers base both to be more competitive and to ensure a balanced return to CERN’s Member and Associate Member States;
- Updating CERN’s procurement and knowledge transfer strategies in line with CERN’s mission;
- Negotiating and managing support programmes with EU partners (EC Horizon Europe, structural funds and EIB financing) and other relevant stakeholders;
- Managing the procurement policy to maximize the value for money over the lifecycle of equipments and services (tender process, contract management, performance assessment, etc.);
- Elaborating new policies and work methods to foster the development of new technologies through appropriate intellectual property and innovation strategies, for the benefit of CERN’s missions in priority and through knowledge sharing and dissemination with industry (including start-ups) and society;
- Advising and supporting CERN’s departments, experiments and projects in the implementation of their missions in the fields above;
- Coordinating liaison officers from Member and Associate Member States in the topics above;
- Contributing to the enhancement of CERN’s reputation and image in the areas of competence for the Department (scientific and/or technical expertise, international visibility and leadership in industry relations and knowledge transfer).
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of Procurement, Engineering, Business Administration or a related field.
- Extensive experience and leadership roles in the area of procurement, intellectual property, innovation and business development;
- Experience in interactions and negotiations with high-level public sector and private partners;
- Working experience in a scientific research institution or in an international organization will be considered as an asset.
- Development of vision and strategy;
- Managing Industry Partnerships;
- Bringing the best out of people;
- Creating vsion and strategic partnerships;
- Leading with strength and credibility;
- Optimising Resources;
- Setting Direction.
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak the language in professional contexts as well as the ability to issue reports and official communications and make oral presentations.
- Ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an important advantage. In any case, the selected candidate will commit to acquire it rapidly.
- Knowledge of other languages will be considered an additional asset.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 11.11.2020
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years).
Job grade: 9
Job reference: IPT-2020-124-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Principal Knowledge Transfer Professional