Livelihoods Officer (Economic Recovery) Tel Afar
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region for over a decade, running a combination of emergency, livelihood, protection and advocacy programmes through Country Offices (COs) in Algeria, Libya/Tunisia, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey with a Regional Office (RO) in Amman. DRC has 17 offices and approximately one thousand staff members across the MENA region. Following an internal HQ restructuring, from 1st January 2018 the region is focusing on the Middle East, hence Algeria, Tunisia and Libya will transition to a new region during the course of 2018, while Yemen will join the Middle East region
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Economic Recovery Team Leader, and technical supervision of the Economic Recovery Specialist, the Economic Recovery Officer will support the delivery of market-based programming across DRC area of intervention in Tel Afar district and supporting new operations in Baaj when required. More specifically, the Economic Recovery Officer’s responsibilities include:
- Ensure the quality of the planning, implementation and follow up of all technical aspects of the sector activities being implemented by DRC
- Develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern, relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s sector activities
- Training delivery, technical inputs for market and construction sector intervention, donor compliance and accuracy of work plans and reporting
Programming & Operations
- Ensure efficient and effective program implementation including autonomous identification of the work plan, team tasks, priorities, and work delegation
- Ensure compliance standards, quality of the documentation and attention to detail including accuracy of the reporting.
- Act as field-level focal point for community members, other stakeholders and centres when required.
- Participate in preparing monthly/quarterly/annual highlights/reports and proposals and budgets.
- Ensure compliance to project procedures and accountability.
- Develop and follow project tools, workplans and trackers as required
- Act as a designated focal point and ensure strong accuracy of data reporting
- Ensure compliance with COVID19 operational guidelines
- Training delivery of the Business and Financial Management trainings with minimum Health and Safety Standards component, warehousing.
- Strong numerical literacy.
- Supervise vocational technical trainings, on job placements on the construction sites.
- Lead field assessments and surveys such as market assessments, price monitoring, labor market analysis and social cohesion mapping.
- Understanding of market demand for construction materials and services, construction labour market
- Supervise Assistants and Enumerators, including ensuring satisfactory completion of tasks and responsibilities, identifying performance issues, and assisting with the development if Performance Improvement Plans, under guidance of in Team Leader
- Compile and submit written project updates, assist with the preparation of project reports, success stories and other narrative documents as required.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with MEAL, IM, Protection, Finance, Supply Chain and other DRC sectors as required.
- Represent DRC at meetings and other relevant technical coordination meetings.
- Ensure integration with other DRC sectors.
- Support the monitoring of financial commitments and expenditures against budgets, ensure quality and documentation preparation for payment processing/distributions.
- Launch, follow and plan procurements.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- Minimum 1 year of relevant work experience with humanitarian organizations
- Able to work autonomously and manage priorities, workplan and schedules
- Experience in training delivery and cash-based response is an asset
- Experience with vocational trainings, construction sector and specialized labour sector is highly desirable
- Familiarity with Occupational Health and Safety Standards is an asset
- Experience with conducting administrative tasks and with following standard procedures and guidelines
- Strong IT skills
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a complex multicultural environment with different stakeholders
- Ability to work sensitively with different community members, considering gender, age and diversity
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and work as part of a team to achieve joint objectives, in a multicultural context.
- Demonstrated commitment to humanitarian principles and values is mandatory
- Willingness and capacity to work in the field and travel frequently to project sites when needed is mandatory
- Ability to act calmly in tense situations, handle sensitive and confidential information with discretion, and act with transparency and integrity.
- Positions are subject to funding.
- Applications can be reviewed prior to the application deadline.
(include certificates, licenses etc.)
- Diploma or equivalent professional qualification
(indicate fluency level)
- Fluency in Arabic
- Proficiency in English and Turkmeni desirable
- Proficiency in Kurdish is an asset)
(internal and external)
- DRC Staff in the area
- MEAL, Supply Chain, IM, Finance, Admin/HR, Protection, Shelter
- Community and governmental stakeholders
- Contract length: 6 months (with the possibility of extension)
- Salary Band: H
- Start date: 15th November 2020.
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Nationals; please refer to drc.ngo under Vacancies.
in this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking or on the apply button.
Closing date for applications: 31st October. 2020. Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website drc.ngo.