Project Officer-National Frameworks &Coordination
The Social Cohesion Programme is a five-year initiative launched in 2020 to improve the enabling environment for peace and social cohesion in all in Iraq. Many entrenched conflict and social divisions have followed the war against ISIL in Iraq and are further impacted by political instability and Historical grievances which must be stemmed by working on the community peace, raising awareness about the impact of violence, giving voice to grievances, and facilitating opportunities for citizens to dialogue and restore trust with each other.
The programme which will work in four main areas that include 1) Strengthening the national frameworks for peace and social cohesion, 2) strengthening inter-linking community infrastructures for social cohesion at multi-levels 3) supporting and strengthening capacities and resources of academia and research institutions and actors to lead social cohesion and 4) working with media institution and media professionals to improved advocacy and public awareness.
The project will also UNDP’s efforts to mainstream conflict sensitive approaches to all its programming to address the underlying challenges of exclusion, marginalization and societal divisions through each pillar to contribute to address key drivers of conflict. The project will adopt and introduce innovative approaches to use social media and social local networks to engage youth and women to address the social and development challenges through accelerators labs and use of digital technology. Considering the differentiated national, regional and local needs and priorities, UNDP will support solution pathways based on area-based consultative approaches and analytical tools such as local conflict and risk assessments, building on the lessons and knowledge from the current social cohesion interventions. In addition, UNDP will support the GOI to develop and implement a social cohesion agenda that promotes conflict resolution mechanisms, dialogue and trust building measures, as well as enable peaceful coexistence and prevent future radicalization and recruitment to violent extremist groups
Under the guidance and the direct supervision of the Team Leader of the Social Cohesion Pillar, the Project Officer for National Frameworks and Coordination will lead on strengthening the national frameworks for peace and social cohesion through supporting the development of key legislative, policy, planning processes for peace and social cohesion , supporting institutional development and capacities at national and sub-national structures , designing the coordination architecture for peace and social cohesion and facilitate vertical and horizontal linkages between peace and social cohesion activities. He or she will responsible of the planning implementation of activities related this area as outlined in the project document and the work plan
Duties and Responsibilities
- Planning and implementation of the activities that aim to support the government to develop and strengthen key legislative, policy, planning processes and institutions for social cohesion;
- Coordinate and Facilitate with the other UN agencies the support to the government to design an inclusive process for developing a national strategy action implementation plan for social cohesion the process of elaborating national strategy and for social cohesion;
- Support the operationalization of the coordination architecture for social cohesion including coordination mechanisms and secretarial functions;
- Facilitate vertical and horizontal linkages between peace and social cohesion initiatives and activities;
- Ensures compliance with UNDP’s policies and procedures on project management in all stages of the project cycle;
- Ensures application of effective Results Based Management (RBM) tools and systems, and advises on effectiveness;
- Supports the design and formulation of the Country office Programme within the area of responsibility, translating UNDP’s priorities into local interventions. Introduction of performance indicators/ success criteria, cost recovery, targets and milestones.
- Ensures coordination and implementation of programme/project activities in the support the government mandated institution on social cohesion by working closely with country office program and project colleagues;
- Liaises closely with the Programme Support Unit and the project M&E Officer to measure results and impact of the implemented activities;
- Organizes regular monitoring visits to various parts of Iraq and project locations;
- Drafts regular progress reports in line with scheduled reporting deadlines, including risk framework;
- Identifies and provides recommendations to solutions in order to mitigate risks and overcome bottlenecks.
- Identify potential partners and support the development of proposals in the area of community and social cohesion;
- Financial and substantive monitoring and evaluation of the projects, identification of operational and financial problems, development of solutions;
- Regular liaison with stakeholders, donors, partners and other relevant program/project stakeholders;
- Manage field coordinators and ensure timely implementation, results –orientation and accountability for project results;
- Review and finalization of letters of agreement/Micro capital grants or responsible partner agreements for the stabilization project, in preparation for Clearance.
- Identify partnerships and coordinate with non-governmental organizations, UN Agencies, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector for to inform programing of social cohesion community coexistence;
- Draft timely and quality donor reporting and close coordination with the monitoring and data management colleagues;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, active contribution to the overall office effort in resource mobilization.
- Contribute to updated and new sources of information related to policy-driven issues. Identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learnt directly linked to programme country policy goals;
- Support to development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other partners;
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Promote learning and development by providing opportunities for training and capacity guiding to enhance the competencies/productivity of staff members;
- Promote critical thinking and innovative approaches and good practices in community reconciliation programming and operations to maximize efficiency and achieve concrete and sustainable results.
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP’s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Good managerial and leading skills;
- Demonstrate strong coordination and organizational skills;
- Ability to work as a part of a team, sharing information and coordinating efforts within the team;
- Consistently approaches to work with energy and a positive and constructive attitude;
- Excellent analytical and writing skills.
- Good communication skill both in writing and oral including networking and interpersonal skills;
- Proven ability to persuade and influence others to cooperate.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients;
- Proven ability to build strong relations with partners, clients for positive feedback;
- Ability to undertake and apply gender analysis to ensure gender equitable solutions.
- Build, coordinate and advise on strategic and programmatic partnership;
- Facilitate the engagement of major stakeholders or groups in environment and sustainable development decision making, their access to and sharing of information for effective compliance.
- Advise on the development and management of the Facility’s communication strategy, outreach campaigns and activities to raise the Facility’s profile at the national and international levels.
- Demonstrate professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively and demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed;
- Willing to undertake other assignments as provided by the Head of the Facility.
- Identifies the key issues in a complex situation;
- Gathers relevant information before making a decision;
- Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them;
- Proposes a course of action based on all available information;
- Checks assumptions against facts.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Public Administration, Buisness administration, political science, social seience or any relevant field;
- Bachelor degree with additional 2 years of relevant experience will be accepted in lieu of Masters.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in interagency coordination and coordination with government;
- Proven experience on working on strategy process design as well supporting development of national frameworks;
- Experience in peacebuilding and or social cohesion and and or community reconciliation programming, including at the national and field level;
- Experience in the usage of ATLAS and ERP systems is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Arbaic, both spoken and written is required.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.