SMS Community Mobilization Officer
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956 and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 8,000 employees and also 8,000 volunteers, while managing a turnover of over 400 million Euro. Based in Copenhagen (Denmark) and present in forty countries, the Danish Refugee Council is a non-profit-making, politically independent, nongovernmental and non-denominational relief organization. The Danish Refugee Council is Denmark’s largest humanitarian NGO and has been ranked the 3rd best NGO in the world in 2018 (for the six consecutive years, the organization is among the top five of the NGO Advisor Annual List).
Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced. All our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been operating in Greece since November 2015, providing support to the Greek Ministry of Migration Policy in ensuring dignified reception conditions for refugees and migrants arriving on Lesvos island. In March 2016, DRC expanded its operations in Athens, in response to the changing context and the build-up of refugee population on mainland Greece.
DRC Greece is looking to recruit a qualified, flexible and enthusiastic professional to work in Koutsochero site of Central Greece as Site Management Support Community Mobilization Officer. Under supervision of the SMS Manager and the SMS Team Leader and other DRC field units, the Site Management Support Community Mobilization Officer (SMS Community Mobilization Officer) will contribute to the implementation of DRC’s activities intended to improve relations between refugees and host communities and implement campaigns to work with refugees on improving living conditions in the sites in DRC’s area of responsibility in Central Greece. Furthermore, the Site Management Support Community Mobilization Officer will develop and maintain good relations with the persons of concern (PoC), relevant stakeholders and other humanitarian actors, to support adequate implementation and coordination of DRC’s activities. Under the supervision of the SMS Team Leader, the SMS Community Mobilization Officer will ensure a high quality, integrated approach to site management support, including oversight of site operations, shelter interventions, NFI and food distributions, community mobilization and general protection activities
Duties and Responsibilities
SMS Community Mobilization Officer responsibilities will include, but not necessarily be limited to, the following:
- Support coordination efforts and monitoring of activities and services provision on the emergency reception sites of DRC in Central Greece, to avoid duplication and identify gaps.
- Proactively refer any identified gaps and support advocacy to relevant authorities or humanitarian actors for additional support.
- Develop and maintain extensive contacts with the local authorities/actors as well as good working relations with other humanitarian actors.
- Contribute to maintaining and strengthening synergies between DRC staff and activities in different areas of intervention.
- Contribute to ensuring adequate staffing is in place for the efficient implementation of DRC’s activities.
- Promote a participatory approach to site management and service provision in the sites.
- Support smooth functioning in the production and dissemination of various communications tools for the persons of concern, based on agreed key messages.
- As necessary, oversee the work of project of the SMS Assistants or other contributors to guarantee quality and accuracy of communication materials produced and disseminated.
- Continuously advocate for increased communications with persons of concern throughout DRC units, duty bearers and other humanitarian actors.
- Organize, plan and implement community mobilization activities that will contribute to community mobilization and enhance community cohesion in close collaboration with the SMS Assistant, SMS TL and SMS Manager
- Capacitate the SMS Assistants in order to be able to successfully implement the community mobilization activities and outreach.
- Support in organizing and coordinating information sessions, FGDs, community meetings, activities as required.
- Contribute to program standardization and sharing of experiences, lessons learned, and good practices to inform future interventions.
- Coordinate data collection and support drafting relevant SMS information products, e.g. site reports/profiles, 4Ws, briefing notes.
- Represent DRC in coordination meetings or SMS working groups according to the needs.
- Participate in the monthly verification exercise.
- Support the Help Desk when needed.
- Understanding and sensitive to the needs of people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, including a strong commitment to confidentiality.
- Ensure that activities/projects are implemented in accordance with agreed strategies, principles, implementation plans, and donor requirements.
- Provide inputs for internal and donor reporting, as necessary; ensure the use of qualitative and quantitative indicators and prepare accurate and timely reports on project progress.
- Support daily SMS/Site Ops activities, announcements, data collection, informing PoC of upcoming works, activities etc.
- Participate in awareness raising sessions and information campaigns for activities to improve camp sanitation and organization.
- Identify vulnerable individuals and facilitate appropriate action, including referrals to specialized services and protective accompaniment as necessary
- Provide appropriate and relevant information to beneficiaries regarding relevant information, and services and activities available to them
- Any other related tasks assigned by the SMS Manager and the Team Leader relevant to the achievement of DRC objectives
Monitoring and Reporting
- Providing feedback for monthly accurate and timely reports.
- Prepare the weekly Sitreps and submit them to the SMS TL.
Finance and Administration
- Ensure full compliance with DRC and donor financial guidelines and policies
- Supervise assigned teams and support respectful and positive working relationships, which allow for the effective implementation of all activities
- Ensure the observance of the DRC Code of Conduct throughout activity implementation
Logistics and Procurement
- Prepare all documentation needed in order to purchase equipment/items for activities and events.
Coordinate with the supply chain team to ensure timely delivery of project materials on site
- University Degree (AEI) University degree in social or political science or other relevant disciplines.
- At least 2 years’ experience in related field
- Fluency Greek with excellent analytical and writing skills
- Working knowledge of English/ Ability in writing reports
- Working knowledge of Arabic, French, Sorani, Kurmanji or Farsi is an added advantage
- Previous working experience with local or international NGOs will be considered as a strong advantage
- Strong computer skills
- Proven experience as Community Mobiliser will be an advantage
- Ability to cope with competing demands under tight deadlines
Required Skills & Qualities
- Core Competencies of DRC:
- Striving for excellence
- Taking the lead
- Demonstrating Integrity
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment
- Proactivity, with a sound commitment to teamwork and with a spirit of genuine collaboration
- Strong initiative and self-motivated, with a strong commitment to humanitarian principle and high sense of ethics
- Excellent communication skills, as well as patience and politeness, are needed
- Ability to cope with high workload and stress and identify priority activities and assignments, and adjust priorities as required
- Multi-tasking and organizational skills are must, and a good sense of humor
Terms and Conditions
- The contract will be under the Greek Labor Law (this is a national position)
- All allowances will be provided to the employees (Christmas, Easter, Vacation bonus)
- DRC provides training opportunities to develop and strengthen the quality of its services as well as its staff members’ professional and personal development.
- The position will be based in Larisa (Central Greece) and national terms and conditions apply
Are you interested? Then apply for this position on line: www.drc.dk/about-drc/vacancies/current-vacancies. All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in English.
DRC provides equal opportunity in employment and prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability. DRC encourages all applicants to apply and does not practice any discrimination in any recruitment process. However, applicants must be aware that DRC cannot systemically sponsor non-EU citizen or non-Greek resident for all the steps of legal process to get a work permit and/or a residency permit in Greece.
Applications close on the 31st of October 2020. Applications submitted after this date will not be considered.
Due to the urgency of the position DRC reserves the right to recruit a candidate who matches the required profile before the above deadline.