MENA area: Regional Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator - based in Amman, Jordan
Fixed term | 12 months | January 2021
Since 1993, as an international non-governmental organization, ACTED has been committed to immediate humanitarian relief to support those in urgent need and protect people’s dignity, while co-creating longer term opportunities for sustainable growth and fulfilling people’s potential.
ACTED endeavors to respond to humanitarian crises and build resilience; promote inclusive and sustainable growth; co-construct effective governance and support the building of civil society worldwide by investing in people and their potential.
We go the last mile: ACTED’s mission is to save lives and support people in meeting their needs in hard to reach areas. With a team of 4,600 national staff 400 international staff, ACTED is active in 37 countries and implements more than 500 projects a year reaching over 14 million beneficiaries.
You will be in charge of
The Regional Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation Coordinator is responsible for designing, developing and implementing appropriate and viable appraisal, monitoring and evaluation systems that are in line with the ACTED’s global AME procedures and ensure that ACTED’s projects and programs perform as planned.
1. Appraisal, Monitoring and Evaluation Systems
Technical and Systems Development
- Develop and regularly update the regional AME strategy
- Ensure that a country AME strategy is developed and regularly updated in each ACTED country in the region;
- Ensure consolidated AME work plans are developed in each ACTED country in the region covering all ongoing projects and planned assessments of the countries;
- Ensure a clear AME framework for each ongoing project is developed based on project proposals, implementation plans, and donor reporting requirements;
- Ensure the development, measurement, and reporting of qualitative and quantitative input, process, output, outcome, impact, objective, and goal-level performance indicators for all projects;
- Ensure that AME findings are reflected and their recommendations are incorporated in future concept notes, proposals and implementation plans;
- Identify and design innovative practices to improve organizational efficiency and effectiveness in AME and general project management and incorporate them in the regional as well as country AME strategy;
- Ensure the AME policies and procedures as described in the ACTED AME standard guidelines are implemented in each ACTED country in the region and make sure that the tools are followed as applicable;
AME Implementation and Management
- Advise on the development of appropriate data collection and analysis instruments, methodologies (e.g. survey questionnaires, focus group discussions, key-informant interviews) and data/information dissemination/utilization plans for the various projects implemented in each ACTED country in the region
- Provide technical guidance and oversight to over data collection activities to country AME teams
- Ensure that data is provided to regional and country Project Development Teams for use in preparation of reports to donors and other stakeholders, as required;
- Contribute to donor proposals and fundraising efforts (particularly logical-framework designs and formulation of SMART indicators) and reports, through analysis and interpretation of findings;
- Provide AME related capacity building and awareness to country AME teams and implementing partners
- Oversee the implementation of any recommendations discussed and agreed with the regional/ country management team and the ACTED Director of Programmes;
- Represent ACTED in different regional forums on AME related issues when required.
2.Database and GIS
- Ensure the development, strengthening and functioning of the country-level data and GIS management systems in each ACTED country in the region;
- Ensure roll out and functionality of Database Management Systems (DBMS) and GIS across users including implementing partners as required;
- Develop strategies to increase data use and demand amongst relevant staff and other data/information users;
- Design electronic and paper-based MIS/GIS systems for tracking and reporting all quantitative (spatial and non-spatial) data and information;
- Facilitate trainings for non AME staff (e.g. PMs, PDs, TCs) on the use of project databases and database related reporting; for example, reporting on ACTED’s 16 global strategic program indicators;
- Provide capacity building on effective use of GIS/DB products and systems – or ensure that GIS/DB staff deliver this efficiently and effectively.
- Contribute to proactive dissemination and use of knowledge gained through AME activities among Project Managers, Technical Coordinators and Project Development Manager/Officers;
- Organize and facilitate learning events in order to capture best practices and lessons learnt when a project closes or as required;
- Document and share the lessons learnt and best practices on time and ensure that the knowledge gained contributes to the improvement of projects and influence the strategic development of future projects and activities;
4.Beneficiary Complaints and Response Mechanism
- Ensure the implementation of beneficiary Complaints and Response Mechanism (CRM) in the various countries in the region in line with ACTED standard beneficiary CRM procedures;
- Ensure the effective functioning of the beneficiary CRM and that beneficiary complaints/feedback is adequately captured, analyzed, addressed and responded to in a timely manner and utilized by the program and coordination teams;
- Build capacity and understanding among ACTED staff, partners and contractors on beneficiary accountability and CRM.
5.AME Team Leadership
- Ensure a positive working environment and good team dynamics among AME staff in the region;
- Undertake regular appraisals of staff and follow career management;
- Ensure that the AME teams in the region retain all that is distinctive about ACTED including the organizations values and beliefs, global identity, coherence and consistency, and independence and impartiality.
Capacity Building and Training
- Together with Country AME Managers, identify the AME training needs of AMEU staff, discuss plans with the coordination and HR for both internal and external trainings, and implement them according to AME strategic and operational priorities;
- Coach, train, and mentor AME staff in the region with the aim of strengthening their technical capacity, exchanging knowledge within the AME team and providing professional development guidance.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members;
- Represent ACTED in high-level external forums at regional level, such as AME technical working groups;
- Participate in AME-related conferences and workshops when possible and stay up to date of best practices and new knowledge created in the field of AME;
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
Expected skills and qualifications
- Master’s degree;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- 3-5 years of experience in AME, preferably in international humanitarian context;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting on programme financial performance;
- Ability to monitor and evaluate financial and monitoring skills of communities through capacity-building efforts;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements;
- Prior knowledge of the region an asset;
- Fluency in English required;
- Ability to operate Microsoft Word, Excel and Project Management software;
- Statistical analysis programs preferred;
- Coordination experience.
- Salary defined by the ACTED salary grid depending on education level, expertise, security level and experience
- Living allowance of 300 USD
- Lodging and food provided in the ACTED Guesthouse / or housing allowance (depending on the contract lenght and country of assignement)
- Flight tickets in and out + Visa taken in charge by ACTED
- Provision of medical and repatriation insurances
Send your application by Email (firstname.lastname@example.org) Ref: AMEC/MENA