Camp Manager/Gerente de Campamento - Expat Contract
Danish Refugee Council/Danish Demining Group (DRC/DDG) is one of the world’s leading humanitarian NGOs, working in more than 40 countries to provide adequate assistance with a rights-based approach to refugees, asylum seekers, internally displaced persons, returnees and migrants. DRC/DDG is currently looking for a highly qualified Spanish and – possibly – English speaking Camp Manager (CM) for a 7-month contract (if relevant, renewable for an additional 6 months depending on funding) in Colombia. This is an opportunity for an experienced Camp Manager to support DRC’s emergency response to the mixed migration flows in Colombia due to the current Venezuela crisis.
About the job
DRC/DDG has been present in Colombia since 2011, focused on capacity-building, setting up of mine action programming and providing support to conflict-affected populations in the south of the country. The onset of large mixed migration flows into Colombia due to the Venezuela crisis requires a major integrated humanitarian response to meet the urgent needs of refugees, asylum seekers, migrants, Colombian returnees, and host communities.
Based on the conclusions of several emergency need´s assessments, DRC initiated an emergency response in the Caribbean coastal areas of Colombia (Riohacha and Barranquilla) and in the main cities of the country (Bogota and Medellin). DRC´s integrated humanitarian response will be based primarily on protection activities, with components of CCCM, multi-purpose cash assistance, and livelihood interventions. DRC/DDG aims to play an important role in humanitarian coordination in support of UNHCR and IOM as coordination lead agencies of GIFMM (Grupo Interagencial de Flujos Migratorios Mixtos). The primary objective of the Camp Manager will be to ensure the timely and effective management of a transit camp which it will host a maximum of 1,100 refugees and migrants.
The CM will be based in the town of Riohacha – department of la Guajira - and travel daily to Maicao Municipality where the Transit camp is located (75 km distance). S/he will be responsible for the overall management of Maicao transit camp, including leading coordination efforts with other humanitarian agencies working in the site.
The position will include the line management of a team of approximately 30 national staff, including their capacity building.
- Overseeing all of DRC’s camp management activities.
- Managing all DRC staff members in the camp. This includes coaching and support, creating work plans for the team, and recruitment as needed.
- Provide capacity building to national colleagues in camp management.
- Daily liaise with UNHCR officers working in the camp.
- Overseeing coordination among all actors in the camp, including government representatives, UN agencies, international/national NGOs and other service providers and migrant groups by leading and developing the existing coordination mechanisms.
- Monitoring all activities implemented by DRC in the camp and ensure all activities respect international standards for each sector.
- Assisting with all procurements and logistical arrangements related to the Camp, in collaboration with DRC procurement and logistics staff.
- Managing/supporting any community services, youth activities, protection support and similar humanitarian programs that may be undertaken in the camp.
- Developing and applying a strong camp-wide communication strategy to ensure information is being effectively disseminated to all camp residents using a variety of mediums.
- Actively supporting information gathering and participatory assessments undertaken within the camp.
- Maintaining and strengthening key relationships with camp and government leaders in order to ensure smooth communication, activity implementation, data collection, and community outreach.
- Providing feedback and reports to program manager regarding work plans, contingency plans and general program implementation.
- Assisting the HR and Safety departments in all matters relevant to the camp.
As Manager the post-holder is responsible for the following:
- Accountable for achieving DRC’s strategic goals and objectives within the area of responsibility.
- Accountable for making significant decisions on what the unit does: its purpose, functions and role, and for making commitments and decisions that require the expenditure of significant unit resources.
- Accountable for people management of direct reports, generally at least 3 employees. This includes hiring & firing, objective setting, probation, performance appraisal, development of staff, managing performance, including poor performance, etc.
- Accountable for making sound decisions based on DRC policies, MOPs, standards, and the advice of technical experts in DRC.
Roles reporting to this position Reports to
Transit Camp national staff Area Manager La Guajira
Required experience and competencies
- At least 3 to 5 years' experience in relevant humanitarian field, of which at least 3 years with UN agencies or INGOs in camp management.
- At least 3 years' experience with people management.
- Experience managing teams.
- Proven capacity building experience in camp management.
- Experience in community services, protection support and similar humanitarian programs highly advantageous.
- Ability to work with a diverse range of people in a challenging and dynamic environment.
- Experience engaging with external partners including with national NGOs, local/government authorities, INGOs and UN agencies.
- Proficiency in Spanish is a mandatory requirement.
- Good knowledge of English is an advantage.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC's vision and values.
- Master or university´s degree in political science, international development, logistic, or another relevant field.
- High school or bachelor’s degrees with at least 5 years’ experience as camp manager.
- Contract length: 7 months renewable for other 6 months depending on funding and DRC program strategy.
- Level: F2 – step 1 to 5 depending on experience.
- Designation of Duty Station: Non-family duty station - Unaccompanied
- Start date: As soon as possible not later than 01/12/2020
- Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates; please refer to www.drc.ngo under Vacancies. For questions regarding the vacancy please contact the following emails: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English or Spanish. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 28th October 2020 at 11:59. (COT), UTC -5