Environmental Statistics Specialist
UNDP and the State of Kuwait, represented by the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council of Planning and Development (GSSCPD), strive to enhance institutional capacities at various government agencies by providing them with necessary technical support to strengthen their capacities and skills to perform their expected duties.
Under the framework of the Institutional Capacity Development for Implementation of the Kuwait National Development Plan (ICDI/KNDP) project, UNDP and GSSCPD attempt to support the Central Statistics Bureau (CSB) to create an enabling environment for KNDP results. The aim is to enhance institutional and human capacities of the CSB for evidence-based plans and policies on sustainable development.
Within this context, UNDP on behalf of the General Secretariat for the Supreme Council for Planning and Development, the CSB is seeking to recruit an Environmental Statistics Specialist to provide technical advisory services to the office of the Assistant Undersecretary of Statistical Works Sector at the Central Statistical Bureau of the State of Kuwait. The specialist will be simultaneously working with various departments and units within the Central Statistical Bureau. The Environmental Statistics Specialist will also focus on capacity building and transfer of knowledge to different units at the Central Statistical Bureau for guiding the restructuring process.
The main objective of this consultancy is to assess the status and quality of environmental statistics and the needs for their development at the national level to be consistent with the scope of the United Nations Statistical Commission's Environment Statistics Development Framework.
Duties and Responsibilities
Scope of Work
Summary of key functions:
Under the direct supervision of the Assistant Undersecretary of Statistical Works at the CSB, and in
close coordination with the GSSCPD International Cooperation Department and UNDP project team, the Environmental Statistics Specialist will assume the following tasks:
1. Assist in the implementation of the United Nations Statistical Commission's Framework for the Development of Environment Statistics (FDES-2013), which identifies environmental and other data within its scope, which contributes to structuring and aggregating data into statistical series and indicators.
2. Develop a national framework that includes frameworks and mechanisms for auditing and controlling the quality of statistical environmental statistics and environmental-economic accounting, at the levels of collection, processing and dissemination of statistics.
3. Adopting a comprehensive program to raise human capacities in the field of environmental statistics and environmental-economic accounting.
4. Conducting technical workshops specialized in environmental statistics and indicators for the employees of the Central Administration of Statistics with the participation of the relevant authorities.
5. Assist in the construction of modern databases that monitor environmental statistics and indicators and environmental-economic accounting and meet current and future data requirements.
6. Assist in building automated systems for monitoring environmental data and indicators and link with the relevant authorities.
UNDP and the State of Kuwait, represented by the General Secretariat of the Supreme Council of Planning and Development (GSSCPD), strive to
- Demonstrates leadership, team building and coordinating skills
- Demonstrates commitment to human development principles and values.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Shares knowledge and experience;
- Provides helpful feedback and advice;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Plans and produces quality results to meet established goals;
- Generates innovative, practical solutions to challenging situations;
- Conceptualizes and analyses problems to identify key issues, underlying problems, and how they relate;
- Demonstrates substantive and technical knowledge to meet responsibilities and post requirements with excellence;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities;
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing:
- Makes the case for innovative ideas documenting successes and building them into the design of new approaches;
- Identifies innovative approaches and strategies that promote the use of tools and mechanisms;
- Develops and/or participates in the development of tools and mechanisms, including identifying new approaches to promote individual and organizational learning and knowledge sharing using formal and informal methodologies.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Proven analytical and writing skills, including in the area of programming.
- Ability to prepare succinct analytical publications and reports. ?
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for social planning.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of public policy development and international organisations and seeks to develop him/herself professionally.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management:
- Assesses project performance to identify success factors and incorporates best practices into project work
- Researches linkages across programme activities to identify critical points of integration
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Excellent written communication and analytical skills.
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high-ranking members of national and local institutions, government and non-government.
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines.
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
Required Skills and Experience
Requirements for Experience And Qualifications
I. Academic Qualifications:
- Minimum requirement is a Master’s degree in Statistics, Environment or other related fields. PhD is preferable.
II. Years of experience:
- 10 years of proven practical experience in Statistics.
- Strong Knowledge of environmental statistics, indicators and environmental-economic accounting.
- Knowledge of the Framework for the Development of Environment Statistics FDES-2013 issued by the United Nations Statistical Commission.
- Knowledge of ESSAT.
- Strong experience in the methodologies used in the field of statistical work.
- Experience in applying the fundamentals of quality.
- Knowledge of the economic, social and statistical situation in Kuwait is an advantage.
- Experience in statistical institutes is an advantage.
III. Language Requirements:
- Fluency in oral and written English & Arabic is a must.
- The Consultant will work under the direct supervision of the Assistant Undersecretary of Statistical Works. He/she needs to coordinate closely with the GSSCPD International Cooperation Department and UNDP project team.
- All payments subject to approval based on submitted certified and approved interim, draft and final reports (with relevant attachments) by GSSCPD / CSB and UNDP. These interim and final reports will serve as justification of payment.
- The Consultant will be provided with access to printing machine and internet connection.
6. Expected Outputs and Deliverables
Institution and the duration and timeline of the deliverables are indicated in the below table:
- Deliverable 1: Submit an Inception report including work-plan for the assignment. (The inception report should identify in detail the approach, methodology for developing the required deliverables, and the outline of each deliverable with a description of detailed work shall be undertaken, in addition to the meetings that are required.) Period- 2weeks after the contract start; Represents 5 % of the contract amount;
- Deliverable 2: Submit a report that includes up-to-date databases that monitor environmental statistics, indicators and environmental-economic accounting and meets current and future data requirements. Period- 1 month after the contract start; Represents 10 % of the contract amount;
- Deliverable 3: Submit a report of a developed Environment Bulletin. Period- 2 months after the contract start; Represents 15 % of the contract amount;
- Deliverable 4: Set-up an automated system for monitoring environmental data and indicators and integrating with relevant authorities. Period- 3 months after the contract start; Represents 15 % of the contract amount;
- Deliverable 5: Implementation of the ESSAT tool in its two phases. Period- 4 months after the contract start; Represents 15 % of the contract amount;
- Deliverable 6: Implementation of the Framework for the Development of Environment Statistics (FDES-2013) of the United Nations Statistical Commission, which identifies environmental and other data within its scope, which contributes to the structuring and aggregation of data into statistical series and indicators. Period- 5 months after the contract start; Represents 15 % of the contract amount;
- Deliverable 7: Develop a national framework comprising frameworks and mechanisms for auditing and controlling the quality of statistical environmental statistics and environmental-economic accounting at the levels of collection, processing, and dissemination of statistics. Period- 6 months after the contract start; Represents 15 % of the contract amount;
- Deliverable 8: Conduct a minimum of Six (6) training sessions in: Environmental methodologies (DQAF, ESSAT, FDES, Environmental Accounting.); Environmental Indicators Calculations; Providing recommendations for future training; Provide Final report showing achievement of the objective of the consultancy at the end of the assignment. Period- End of the Contract; Represents 10 % of the contract amount;
7. Duration of the Work
The duration of this assignment is expected to be 6 months. The starting date is expected within January 2020.
8. Duty Station
The consultant will be based in Kuwait at CSB office for the duration of the assignment.
9. Scope of Price Proposal and Schedule of Payments:
YES Lump Sum Amount
NO Option A -. Lowest price and technically compliant offer
YES Option B - Cumulative analysis
Total score=Technical Score + Financial Score.
Technical Criteria weight - 70%, 700 scores maximum
Financial Criteria weight - 30%. 300 scores maximum
Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 490 from 700 points in the Technical part of evaluation would be considered for the Financial Evaluation
The selection of candidates will be done in 3 stages
1st stage: Prior to detailed evaluation, all applications will be thoroughly screened against eligibility criteria (minimum qualification requirements) as set in the TOR in order to determine whether they are compliant/non-compliant.
- Master’s degree in Statistics, Environment or other related fields. PhD is preferable.;
- Minimum of 10 years of proven practical experience in Statistics.;
- Fluency in English and Arabic.
2nd stage: Evaluation of technical proposals
Short-listed candidates will be evaluated based on the following criteria. Only candidates obtaining a minimum of 490 points (70%) at the Technical Evaluation would be considered for the Financial Evaluation.
- PhD in Statistics, Environment or other related fields, 50 Points;
- 10 years of proven practical experience in Statistics; 5 points for each additional year of experience up to 10 additional years , to Max. Points of 150;
- Strong Knowledge of environmental statistics, indicators and environmental-economic accounting. Max Points of 70;
- Knowledge of the Framework for the Development of Environment Statistics FDES-2013 issued by the United Nations Statistical Commission. Max Points of 50;
- Experience working with statistical institutes is an advantage. Max Points of 30;
- Experience working with statistical institutes is an advantage. Knowledge of the economic, social and statistical situation in Kuwait is an advantage. Max Points of 50;
- Technical Proposal/Interview: Good understanding of the assignment with all specific components proposed within TOR have been identified clearly and in a logical order to address TOR requirements.Max Points of 400;
- Excellent 100% from the score
- Good 90% from the score
- Satisfactory 70% from the score
- Poor 40% from the score
- Very poor 10% from the score
3rd stage: Financial evaluation
Cumulative analysis will be used based on the following methodology: All the offers of individual consultants who scored 490 (70% from 700) and more points during the desk review are acceptable for financial evaluation. The lowest financial qualified proposal receives 300 points and all the other technically qualified proposals receive points in inverse proportion per the formula:
p = y (µ/z), wherep = points for the financial proposal being evaluatedy = maximum number of points for the financial proposalµ = price of the lowest priced proposalz = price of the proposal being evaluated Contract Award
Candidate obtaining the highest combined scores in the combined score of Technical and Financial evaluation will be considered technically qualified and will be offered to enter into contract with UNDP.
10.Documents to be included when submitting the proposals:
Applicants are requested to compile and submit as one PDF file the below requested documents:
- Duly accomplished and signed Offeror’s letter/filled-in template to UNDP confirming interest and Breakdown of Costs Supporting the Final All-Inclusive Price as per Template . If an Offeror is employed by an organization/company/institution, and he/she expects his/her employer to charge a management fee in the process of releasing him/her to UNDP under Reimbursable Loan Agreement (RLA), the Offeror must indicate at this point, and ensure that all such costs are duly incorporated in the financial proposal submitted to UNDP.
- Complete and signed P11 form or CV, indicating all experience from similar projects, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate;
- At least three (3) professional references;
- Brief description of why the individual considers him/herself as the most suitable for the assignment.
- Technical Proposal /Statement with subject: Summarize your experience and achievements of communication materials and strategy in relevance to the ToR( The proposal shall not exceed 3 pages, and shall contain the link of communications material produced by the Consultant)
- Copy of diploma/s
- Copy of ID card (passport)