FAO seeks gender, geographical and linguistic diversity in its staff and international consultants in order to best serve FAO Members in all regions.
Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member countries are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
FAO Partnership and Liaison Office in Azerbaijan
Mr. Bariz Mehdiyev , Assistant to the FAO Representative
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Azerbaijan, direct supervision of the Assistant FAO Representative (Programme), in collaboration with the relevant Technical Officers and the FAO-Azerbaijan Partnership Programme (FAPP) Manager; close coordination with Field Programme Unit, including other Programme/Operational specialists and project staff such as Project Managers, Consultants and Assistants and close coordination with Focal Points from relevant Government Counterparts; the Operations Specialist will provide operational support to FAPP and perform the following tasks:
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide the overall operational support and effective planning for the project implementation for assigned projects, through updating the project work plans in consultation with Project Teams and Technical Officers, monitoring progress and where necessary, identify corrective measures to overcome operational constraints;
- Ensure that the project inputs (personnel, technical support services, sub-contracts, training, equipment and supplies) are timely in place provided either directly by the Organization or, when appropriate, through contractors;
- Oversee all operational activities are carried out in line with the work plan and the project document; identifying inconsistencies and delays and, proposing and following-up on actions for their resolution;
- Review and monitor project budget and prepare requests and revisions as required; maintaining and alerting about budget expenditures and resources; reviewing project' transaction listings with a view to identifying errors for action; finalizing financial reporting for submission to the donor, according to the procedural requirements;
- Organize the project task force meetings and following through with the organization of Project Steering Committee meetings; ensuring that secretariat of such meetings are properly conducted, proposing agenda topics, identifying participants, following up the preparation of documents and presentations, etc.;
- Coordinate with the Technical Officers to ensure the timely provision of technical support and that the project inputs and outputs are up to the highest technical standards that could be applicable;
- Organize and assist the Evaluation Missions;
- Support the identification of best practices and lessons learnt, ensuring their proper documentation and dissemination;
- Ensure that the proper Monitoring & Evaluation of assigned programmes/projects are carried out;
- Provide assistance to all project staff and consultants for operational matters;
- Support the promotion of the project and its outputs and findings on national and international platforms;
- Brief, train and supervise the work of lower grade level programme staff regarding all aspects of the job;
- Participate in the identification, formulation and preparation of subsequent programme and project development initiatives;
- Contribute to creating synergies and cross-benefits between different projects and programmes for maximum impact;
- Perform other duties as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- University/Master’s degree on social and administrative sciences such as economics, statistics, business administration, political sciences, international relations, sociology, social work, development studies, agronomy or related fields
- Minimum 5 years of experience in coordination/management of development projects
- Working experience in international organizations will be considered an asset
- Willingness to learn and diligently follow and ensure the adherence to corporate rules and regulations; focus and attention to details, good planning skills, organized and timely delivery of assigned tasks
- Excellent working knowledge of English
- National of Azerbaijan or resident in the country with a regular work permit.
FAO Core Competencies:
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Completes tasks in a timely, cost-effective way and/or escalated properlyEffective and efficient coordination of the assigned projects and ensuring the provision of the required technical and operational support.
- Quality project outputs delivered
- Contribution to further resource mobilization efforts
- Supports the finalization project progress reports
- Monthly reports prepared indicating the work performed, progress and measures to be taken to address bottlenecks
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.